source for new tailight socket???? 65 dart

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
????? I see what they ( feebay seller) claims to be the socket for 65 dart. it has two wires , but it says for park lights, tail lights, b ut does not it being for the tail and brake? turn///// anyone know the ( standard) part no i'm looking for.?? thanks

its got to be better then what the previous owner did on my duster
(unless it came with the towing package?)

Two wire would be correct - 1 for the tail light, the other for the brake/turn signal. If you can use Used, I probably have some in storage.

????? I see what they ( feebay seller) claims to be the socket for 65 dart.
it has two wires , but it says for park lights, tail lights, b ut does not it being for the tail and brake? turn///// anyone know the ( standard) part no i'm looking for.?? thanks

the 65 dart has a similar type of setup as my 66, but one of the 65's has a backup light in the bucket. for stop/turn and tail light you only need a 2 wire unit. 1 wire for tail light only function and the second wire for stop/turn function (grounded by the socket going into the bucket/bolted to the body) I changed mine to all 4 working as stop/tail and turn signals since I wanted to make sure they saw me. (and went custom made LED setup too!) but the need for 2 wires only is because the brake light also goes through the turn signal switch to interrupt the stop light if the turn signal is active. ( just a generalization,it is a bit more complicated than that but it is a part of the turn signal function on our cars)

I use the wells # 327 which are hard to find (and have a ground wire added to help make a super nice looking light) but fit the tightest of all the ones I have tried.
in order to use the others and get a good ground I had to get an o-ring to fit the base area to keep tension on the fingers to metal contact and/or add a soldered on ground wire like the 327's (ground it good or it will be a reason the light are dim and/or don't blink or light up as they should)
the Duralast 327 from autozone will also fit. but it does not have the ground wire like the wells does.
this is the socket that fits tightest into the bucket and stays grounded the best. on the other ones at the parts store , you can put a small o-ring or gasket over the fingers and it will make them fit tighter into the bucket.
View attachment WP_20130719_005.jpg

the next 3 picture show the new wiring setup to convert the tails only on the 66. the 65's I think also have the backup light in quarter panel section.
this wiring change might work also if you want to change to a 4 light setup. You will be adding 25% more power drain on the wires going to the back of the car so make sure your connections and wires are good under the sill plate.

View attachment DSCF3550.jpg

inner tail stop/turn setup for my 66
View attachment DSCF3549.jpg

they do fit close to the rear inner panel on the 66's and might need gentle bends in the inner panel to fit without chafing the wires.
View attachment DSCF3552.jpg

yup the part number that fits for my 66 , oops it is upside down:eek:ops:
View attachment WP_20130719_001.jpg

here is my 66 in the tail light mode
View attachment DSCF2768.jpg

and here it is in full brake/turn signal mode
View attachment DSCF2766.jpg

It shows off and makes a nice bright setup.
And yes, in case of a major blowout of the LEDS I can put regular 1157 style light bulbs in
the sockets since I made an empty light bulb bottom base and a connector for the LEDS to fit into the sockets.​

thanks for the inputs. I have some used old ones,,, they are 50 years old. I was hoping to find new correct ones. I ran into this trying to r edo the taillites in a 72 charger 5-6 years ago, found some close to fit and finally made them work..

I sure year one and someone can sell me maybe a new wiring harness, but that is not on my plate!!!!! LOL

i'm still curious what the ebay ones fit??? standard motor prod S29 and bwd automotive pt14 ( if I can read my writing) ??????

thanks for the inputs. I have some used old ones,,, they are 50 years old. I was hoping to find new correct ones. I ran into this trying to r edo the taillites in a 72 charger 5-6 years ago, found some close to fit and finally made them work..

I sure year one and someone can sell me maybe a new wiring harness, but that is not on my plate!!!!! LOL

i'm still curious what the ebay ones fit??? standard motor prod S29 and bwd automotive pt14 ( if I can read my writing) ??????

here is the BWD 14 part install on a 66 dart bucket. it is not a "plug it in and go fit" but it does require 1 "little" alteration to fit (pretty darn tight too!)

Bdw part 14 from advance auto
View attachment DSCF4895.jpg

View attachment DSCF4894.jpg

the "issue" is a locator tab in the 66's bucket. I will "***-u-me" that the 65's have that also. if not then it's a direct fit

View attachment DSCF4888.jpg

the bwd 14 does not have a tab opening
View attachment DSCF4889.jpg

View attachment DSCF4890.jpg

the fix
View attachment DSCF4891.jpg

oh!:D now it does
View attachment DSCF4892.jpg

the fit . it does take a bit of push( it was a b$%&^h took both hand to get in there) and it stays tight for a good ground
View attachment DSCF4893.jpg

Went through this myself and tried many different new ones but not the ones mentioned previously and could not get a desirable fit. (Napa, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Autozone and Walmarts DID NOT FIT GOOD) I ended up using the old sockets with new wiring added. Works like a charm and fits better then any new ones I tried.

-
Back