Spare parts prices

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Same thing with cordless drills & stuff. Replacement battery costs 1/2 or more than a whole new kit.

kinda makes you wanna just buy a whole new one..
The manufacturers point exactly. They don't want to dink around with parts. THey are in business to sell new products. It's not like it used to be. Everything is a throwaway. Planned obsolescence.

Welcome to our disposable society. Nothing gets rebuilt or repaired anymore. Sad state of affairs.

I think most of the business those parts websites get is through warranty work. A buddy of mine has an appliance repair business, and the vast majority of his work is warranties. So, I don't know exactly how it works, but basically neither he nor his customer pays for the parts, but he purchases control boards for several hundred dollars each through websites similar to those.

The manufacturers point exactly. They don't want to dink around with parts. THey are in business to sell new products. It's not like it used to be. Everything is a throwaway. Planned obsolescence.
kinda goes against the grain of the automotive market, eh? I had an old boss who came from auto sales. He said the money was in finance, parts and service. Some of the cars were sold at or under cost. Apple finally turned the corner and are selling OEM spare parts to shops now.

Watch The Mosquito Coast on Apple TV in it's 1st season. The series is based on the Harrison Ford screenplay of the same name. The Main character Allie Fox is somewhat obsessed with Americas disposable product habit among other things. The series offers good action and thought provoking scenarios.

Bonus: In later episodes Hit Man William Lee drives a 1964/65 Red Valiant 2 door notch, some very nice shots of the car and in one scene the Valiant has a halo quality

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11041132/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

It's been a while since your post, but I wanted to offer some insight. It's crazy how some parts can cost almost as much as a whole new appliance. Reminds me of when my blender's blade assembly gave out. I was shocked at the price they wanted for a replacement! Ended up stumbling across this local repair shop, musiccityappliance.services. They were a game-changer—fixed up my blender for way less than buying new. Ever since, I've been spreading the word about them. It's good to know there are still places out there offering fair deals.

Last edited:
Same thing with cordless drills & stuff. Replacement battery costs 1/2 or more than a whole new kit.
Yeah, Harbor Freight has the deal where you buy the charger and battery and they throw the actual tool at you for free.

And yes, before someone gets wise *** and states the obvious, I know it's an old thread.

Don't you just love it when a kitchen blender needs a new blade, and its $69!!!!

Vitamix 1151 Ice Blade Assembly, Stainless Steel

How about one leg for a Sony 49" TV for $107...AND IT TAKE 2!!!!! WTF!

Sony 4-726-984-11 Stand Base-Left | TVserviceParts.com

kinda makes you wanna just buy a whole new one. On Ebay the set is under $30 new but you gotta wonder how these commercial places stay in business. And what markup they have been jabbing you with before Ebay.
Planned obsolescence. THey price the repair parts so high it doesn't make sense to fix it. Appliances are like that a lot. We went through that a couple weeks ago buying kitchen appliances.

Sounds like a business opportunity part out things and make money just like we do in the collector car market. Fill up an eBay store with power tool used parts. Not a new idea but just a thought.

Small engines are much the same way anymore. But a damn predator, anything happens throw it away and buy another whole engine. Seems awful wasteful to me. I buy alot if that sort of parts on eBay. And almost never the first one I see.
And these whole carbs for the price of an overhaul kit are ridiculous. I've tried a couple and ended up rebuilding the original one anyway. junk Junk Junk.
I have several old used good running Briggs Kohler and Tecumseh engines all over the place. And a few brand new 40-50 year old NOS ones as well. Remember the copper color Briggs used to use? Got a brand new from 1974, 3-1/2hp mower engine that's never had gas or oil in it. Also a 1970 3hp horizontal Briggs same way.
I bought a 32" bobcat commercial mower with a junk kawi on it, now has the NOS from 1988 Briggs 12hp I/C engine on it I had in the attic. I'll use up these old engines before I buy a predator, until I absolutely can't get parts anymore. Which I think will be a while.
Why do people think I'm redoing an 80s truck with a /6? Same reason!and why I bought 3 pallets of oil in the old CANS at an auction last year.... I wanted to use my old spout again...

I bought a $50 1982 Coleman gas generator with a 5HP Tecumseh in avacado green just to get the motor. I'm putting it into a 1968 Powell Challeger mini bike. Everyone told me buy a Predator, nope these bikes came with a vertical cylinder! Too bad it didn't come with the rear mounted siphon carb and tank...08 Mazda 3 transmission solenoid...$223 at stealership, $19 on Amazon.

I bought a $50 1982 Coleman gas generator with a 5HP Tecumseh in avacado green just to get the motor. I'm putting it into a 1968 Powell Challeger mini bike. Everyone told me buy a Predator, nope these bikes came with a vertical cylinder! Too bad it didn't come with the rear mounted siphon carb and tank...08 Mazda 3 transmission solenoid...$223 at stealership, $19 on Amazon.
Even cheaper in your local salvage yard.

Ironic isn't it? That manufacturers all want to claim how "green" they are, yet their products are made to be disposable. Disposable products fill landfills....that's hardly being green. Apparently they don't comprehend that repairing to prolong product life is greener than recycling, since not everything recycles. Even cars. I tell people all the time that most modern cars (last 20 years or so) are "designed for the junkyard." Product design engineers are directed (I know....I am one) to use all kinds of "sustainable" and low environmental impact materials. I can tell you that in nearly every case these make an inferior product - one which is typically not cost effective to repair.

Last edited:
Just like major appliances, a front load washer and dryer cost about $1600 new. Facebook marketplace is loaded with used ones only a couple years old for cheap , but are all not working properly. needs this or that. Nothing but junk is being made these days. Remember when a Kenmore would last for 20+ years !

Just like major appliances, a front load washer and dryer cost about $1600 new. Facebook marketplace is loaded with used ones only a couple years old for cheap , but are all not working properly. needs this or that. Nothing but junk is being made these days. Remember when a Kenmore would last for 20+ years !
Tell me about it! I bought a high end refrigerator in the mid '90s, about $3,500 in 1990s money. When it broke down I called an appliance repairman who deemed it not repairable and told me I was lucky to get 15 years out of it...most only last 10. Meanwhile, my mom had a refrigerator in her basement, bought in 1955 (had the old latching door handle), that ran until the early 2000s!

Yup
I have a Troy bilt horse tiller whose engine was tired and a better mosquito fogger than tiller power. I have had tons of "BUY A PREDATOR" comments on the tractor forums I frequent.
**** no
I found a low hour power washer whose owner didn't take care of the pump for winter and you know what happened.
As it turns out I had just bought a replacement hose for mine but hadn't opened it yet. I got the power washer for the same price as I'd paid for the hose alone from the big box store.
I got this PW for the same price as just that hose cost with a better grade hose than what I had just bought plus a new spray handle and extension wand
So I returned the hose is bought from Lowe's, and I got the one that came with the one I got from CL, an extra set of nozzles, the new spray handle and wand for free. And I used the PW base as a dolly for one of my spare tranny's,
The engine bolted right on, just had to clean the carb. And it's 8hp vs the 6 I originally had.... Yes it's another Tecumseh. I'll take those all day long. A hell of a lot better deal than any Chinese throw a way predator will ever be

Tell me about it! I bought a high end refrigerator in the mid '90s, about $3,500 in 1990s money. When it broke down I called an appliance repairman who deemed it not repairable and told me I was lucky to get 15 years out of it...most only last 10. Meanwhile, my mom had a refrigerator in her basement, bought in 1955 (had the old latching door handle), that ran until the early 2000s!
My parents bought a new house in 1960 and it came with a new Hotpoint refrigerator at some point it was moved to the utility room and still kept food cold when my Dad sold the house in 1994, I wonder how long the new owners kept it.

-
Back