Spare Rim

-

dartgss

Mr Norm Forever!
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

10 years ago I purchased my 68 Dart GT and I notice that the spare rim is only 4 1/2" wide. I thought that the spare rim is 5 1/2" wide. Is it possible that someone put a wrong rim into the Dart?

Can someone help?

Thank you

Roby

not 100% sure on this, but I have also noticed it on other "stock" a-bodies... the spare was I believe to be a 41/2 rim to save space... if you notice when you mount a tire and 5.5 spare in the wheel well for spare, then the wing nut, mason board, and trunk mat all become disoriented with the 5.5, and the 4.5 it all fits nice and tidy...

My 340 swinger were all 5.5 ... and all color coated to vehicle ext paint... Maybe NON-340 cars ?

4.5 was the standard rim width in those days. Only heavy-duty packages like Formula S got 5.5. Dart GT was a trim level, not a handling package, so 4.5 was probably stock.

Note that any reasonable size of 14" tire is going to bulge out of the spare tire well, anyway, the rim width doesn't matter much.

Hi everybody,

10 years ago I purchased my 68 Dart GT and I notice that the spare rim is only 4 1/2" wide. I thought that the spare rim is 5 1/2" wide. Is it possible that someone put a wrong rim into the Dart?

Can someone help?

Thank you

Roby

4.5 was the standard rim width in those days. Only heavy-duty packages like Formula S got 5.5. Dart GT was a trim level, not a handling package, so 4.5 was probably stock.

That's it. 5.5" wheel was optional on the GT and standard on the GTS.

-
Back