spare tire fitment ?

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
i have a 73 scamp that came from the factory with 14" wheels 4.5 bolt pattern,
the previous owner swapped to 15" wheels, everything works ok, however i would like to put a 15" spare in the trunk. i would like to put a stock 15" rim/ tire combo in my trunk...what will fit in my spare tire well ?

I just pulled a 17" donut out of a newer mustang. It fits perfect, and I gave the junkyard 5 or 10 bucks.

I have a 195/70 15 normal tire and rim for a spare and it fits tight in the spare cavity, but it fits with the jack base and wingnut assembled.

5 lug Jeep and some fords fit the 4.5 pattern.

The thing that matters most, is if you have a suregrip. If you have one of those, then your spare should be very nearly the same roll out to prevent wear to the S.G.internals. 14/15 doesnt matter. The rollout matters. If the roll-out cant be matched the S.G.system will be forced to slip, which will heat the oil, perhaps high enough to boil it, with subsequent internal damage.
If your current rear tire does not fit the tire-well,(And therefore neither will a spare) then carry one that matches your front roll out fairly closely(not critical), and subscribe to what we up here call CAA; Insurance where they send someone out to your location and tow you.
I havent carried a spare in my 68 S clone ever. In 15.6 years Ive had 1 flat. Just 3 miles from home.

Correction to my last post. The stang donut is a 125/90/15. It is approx. 24" dia.

-
Back