Spare Tire Hold down

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
So I have a spare tire hold down. Yes, I have the longer stud for the 340 cars, but it doesn't quite reach my cup. Then after some reading, it seems there We're there 2 different styles between Standard vehicles vs the HI performance models?

Screenshot_20240115_141945_eBay.jpg

It would make sense since basic A body cars came with 4.5 wide rims and 340's came with 5.5 wide rims.

Last edited:
Yes, two different length bolts. I have never found the longer carriage bolt for the 5.5 rims. Even when new, many of these were missing. I have even tried NOS. What I do is extend the bolt 1".

I have never seen a rally wheel car with an original rally wheel spare. I guess you learn something new every day - I'm not sure that I would give up the trunk space. I use a thinner tire (78 profile) on a original steel plain rim that is the same height as the rest of the tires.

I have never seen a rally wheel car with an original rally wheel spare. I guess you learn something new every day - I'm not sure that I would give up the space. I use a thinner
I have never seen a rally wheel car with an original rally wheel spare. I guess you learn something new every day - I'm not sure that I would give up the trunk space. I use a thinner tire (78 profile) on a original steel plain rim that is the same height as the rest of the tires.
Hi. In my 1970 340 Duster, the spare is not a rallye wheel. It is a black steel 5.5" rim, with an E70 14 Polyglas tire. The extra width of the rim and tire necessitated the use of the longer hold down bolt. The masonite tire board sits very high too. The trunk mat does not sit flat at all.

I had a 1971 duster also with Rally wheels. It was the same way it had the solid stamped black 5.5 inch spare. And it also sets up high in the trunk. The mat does not sit flat. They only set flat if you had the skinny Tire and Wheel that came on the 6 cylinder cars.
I am surprised that nobody sells the black cup that goes over the fiberboard and also the stamped wing nut that is the smaller one.

Last edited:
So I went through this last year or so. The bolt for every one they list is only 6 1/2” long and won’t go through everything properly.

I started with a standard 3/8-16 x 8” carriage bolt from the big box store along with a small wing nut for the top. Both just a zinc plate.

This setup works and fits perfect. It may not be 100% stock OEM points blah blah blah but I drive my car and go for the fun.

Hope this helps.

Cliff Ramsdell

IMG_3653.jpeg

IMG_3654.jpeg

IMG_3656.jpeg

IMG_3648.jpeg

-
Back