Spare tire, space saver donut options?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Any body out there tried using a later model space saver spare wheel set up in their A-body? I'm switching to 4.5" bolt pattern and rather than looking for a correct spare thought a cheap modern spare would also take less space, and weigh less, and sometimes people just throw them out down here too. I know the spare from my wife's Mazda fits, but are there any other options?

I got mine from a 88 Dodge Diplomat,RWD Chrysler New Yorker. Also I hear the the Ford Crown Vic's work. Gives you a nice flat floor.

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

I converted my 68 cuda to 4.5 B.P. Of course it has the wheel well in the trunk floor. Keeping it all Mopar, I got a never used spare donut from a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee from a bone yard for $10-15 and the trunk panel fits very nicely without being too high. I'm sure I tried it on my front 73 disc brakes and it fut ir it wouldn't be in the well. Luckily I never had to use it yet.
I consider it for emergency use only and would have no qualms about using it with my S.G. for short distances less than say, 50 mph.

I use a 17" spare from a '07/08 Infiniti G35. Fits in the well, clears my 13" rotors in the front too. I think it has a 145/80/17 on it (~26" tall). That's gonna be the tallest tire that will fit in the well, so if your tires are much taller than 26" you're out of luck with a sure grip. All I did was a little dremel work on the hub bore, it was a couple mm's too small. Nothing major though, especially for a spare.

It doesn't sit perfectly even with the trunk floor, the rim sticks up just a little because of the curvature on the spokes. They do have a steel rim spare for the G35's as well that's a smaller rim diameter. I needed the 17" aluminum version because of my 13" rotors. You'd have to pay attention to the hub bore though.

IMG_1824_zpsawvplxuf.jpg

IMG_1822_zpsojer7eso.jpg

got mine from a jeep Cherokee in 15" a stock 15" tire would not even fit in the well.

I got mine from a 88 Dodge Diplomat,RWD Chrysler New Yorker. Also I hear the the Ford Crown Vic's work. Gives you a nice flat floor.
Cool, didn't even know those cars had a space saver option, that's what I'd like to find to keep it all mopar, can get the jeep ones fairly easy down here but wasn't sure they'd clear the front brake callipers?

-
Back