Spares..what do you carry ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
Hi,

I know know that I need to carry an extra coil and ballast reg..what else should this car have in it' trunk for tools/ parts. BTW, it will not be driven in the winter.

What do you carry ?

Ian.

Extra fuel pump, distributor cap and rotor, used- good plug wires, spare plugs, bulbs, drive belt, fuses, gas can, tools, fire extinguisher, oil, coolant, extra ignition switch and light switch, of course mine are aftermarket and easy to pop a new one in.

I have an assortment of extra nuts and bolts just in case.

No spare tire though, but I need to figure out where I would fit one.

I try not to wonder off too far though.

Hi Ian, a case of beer, barf bag, spare pair of fartcatchers, and a fanbelt maybe a short chunk of fuel line, or steel tube to be used as fuel line and hose clamps. Hope this helps:toothy7:

I bought the most complete emergancy roadside kit Walmart had to offer. Said a little prayer over it and tossed it in the trunk. I've opened it only once and only to add a pencil, note pad, and small tape measure.

Two (2) extra seven round magazines for my Sig Sauer P220 .45 cal. semiauto.
Gives me 22 rounds total of available ammo.
Oh, wait; you mean in your Mopar? Never mind.

i had my ignition control module go bad on the pennsylvania turnpike in my old 74 cuda, halfway between dover delaware and oneonta ny. car skipped , popped, and died in the middle of nowhere. luckily , i had the old black box in the trunk to replace the orange box with. i always carry my old ignition parts with me along with basic tools.

Thanks...and fast !! I will start shopping. I think I will get her CAA (AAA in the US).

About the ammo..my cus in Texas keeps that in her glove compartment..the first thing her new husband did when they went back to the states was to get her gun lessons and a couple of pistols.

ian.

Voltage regulator. They're all outsourced now and I'm lucky to get a year out of one.

A lot depends on the vehicle and what you use if for. On a daily go-to-work vehicle, you want to carry things to get you off the side of the road. A good spare, dist cap, rotor, ballast resistor, ign. module, fuel filter, along with the necessary tools to install them. For a car you're taking on a long trip I would just add a complete tool box. Unless you're driving to outer Mongolia, you can get whatever else you need at an auto parts store.
Thanks, Mark

I have a full tool kit in my trunk, hose clamps, fuses, wire , feeler gauge, ballast resistor, fuel filter, i should get a extra cap, rotor and points, a couple gallons of water.

No Spare, or jack, i would have to carry two different rims and tires, thats what AAA is for.

Extra fuel pump, distributor cap and rotor, used- good plug wires, spare plugs, bulbs, drive belt, fuses, gas can, tools, fire extinguisher, oil, coolant, extra ignition switch and light switch, of course mine are aftermarket and easy to pop a new one in.

I have an assortment of extra nuts and bolts just in case.

No spare tire though, but I need to figure out where I would fit one.

I try not to wonder off too far though.
You really carry all that crap in the trunk and don't carry a spare?? When was the last time you had all 8 plug wires or spark plugs go bad at the same time? Most of your items I keep in the garage but I don't haul them around. They usually give some sort of warning that they need to be replaced before a complete failure. If some items start to look tired, I replace them before I head out. Regularly maintaining a vehicle is a better bet that carrying all those spare parts with you all the time. The 4 main areas that you don't skimp on....battery, tires, oil changes, and cooling system. If you keep on top of those, the rest seems to give you less trouble.

my 68 valiant has a spare module, ballast resister and voltage reg. all mounted under the hood...the extra parts are in reach of the wiring of the primary units and only requires swithing the plugs to use the secondary units... :)

-
Back