Spark Plug Advice Needed

-
Turk,
Go back to sleep. You haven't got a clue, couldn't drive out of sight on a dark night....

My GTO & hundreds of thousands of other Pontiacs idled on the showroom floor with a tiny 197/212 @ 050 cam....& 10.7:1 CR....with 26*. The car makers need to be conservative because they do not know the end use of the car.

The Edel tuning manual states to use plenty of init timing AND/OR use vac adv connected to manifold vacuum to increase the timing at idle. This is BEFORE you start changing rods, jets etc. It is what you do first.

You must be even dumber than I thought if you think with more idle timing, a rich/black plug will be fixed.

Turk,
Should have added. The links I quoted above with happy endings were from a variety of people.

On resistor spark plugs. Circle Track tested about 10-12 heli-wound plug wires that had different ohms per foot. The test was to see if resistance affected the hp. There was a small HP difference between the best & the worst, & the winner did NOT have the lowest resistance. That is likely due to these wires becoming a coil [ inductor ], plus the capacitance of the wires. All except one wire was tested using resistor plugs. One brand insisted on using non-res plugs & got the lowest hp.....

Dude, slow down and think for once.

The carb is so fat at idle he’s jacking a bunch timing to it. That’s bullshit and you should know that.

You can’t honestly think with 9.9:1 compression and that little cam needs 30 DEGREES OF TIMING AT IDLE.

No way should it need that. But your god said in his book to throw a bunch of timing at idle when everything else is wrong.

Look at his plugs. Apart from being a bit too cold it’s pig fat rich and that’s WITH all that timing at idle.

The one who is getting it wrong and leading people down the merry path of bullshit tuning is you.
From the beginning of time, everyone I have ever known with any smarts has always, always, ALWAYS said Carburetor FIRST and then timing. Then usually zoom in on the carburetor after that. That's how I've done it a very long time and it's always worked well. Different folks do different stuff, though.

RRR,
I will tell you why you do IDLE TIMING first.....

You bolt on your carb, factory 12* of initial timing. You find the mixture screws are not adjusting the mixture; you are able to screw them all the way in...& engine still runs.
You remove the carb & find too much transfer slot is exposed, giving a very rich idle that cannot be adjusted. To reduce the amount of exposed T slot, you drill holes in the t/blades for bypass air. Problem solved.

Then when you are tinkering with ign timing, you notice the idle rpm increased 200 rpm. And the idle is smoother also. WTF!
You check with the timing light & find the engine is idling with 30*. Another WTF moment!! The idle rpm increased because the engine is making more HP from the extra timing.....which it always wanted.
So now if this carb is going to be dialled in to give the best idle & vacuum, best tip in response, the carb does not need any bypass air; you now have some holes in t/blades that need filling in....
That is why you dial in idle timing FIRST....

Hmm......So you're saying a car magazine did a test on spark plug leads and therefore they must know more than NGK about spark plugs?

If only the worlds manufacturers of engine components with billions in research budgets and the sharpest minds could have access to your magazine pile.....

So you're also saying a spark plug with 5K Ohm resistance will make more power because impeding current flow through the spark plug?

For starters get rid of those plugs and put the NGK equivalent of what ever plug the factory put in it that came out in that year. Most likely a NGK BP5ES. Also make sure the plugs you buy have no more resistance than 0.5 Ohms from the center electrode to the tip.

Those plugs are a resistor type plug.....not what you want in that engine and gap them according to what ignition system you have in the car. As always check the voltage at the alternator as an ignition system that doesn't fire correctly doesn't give reliable info concerning the tune.

WHAT IS A RESISTOR SPARK PLUG?

Since resistor type plugs actually “resist” some of the spark energy, non-resistor type plugs actually deliver a more powerful spark. It is for this reason that most racing plugs are non-resistor types.

I have seen a 0.5v drop in alternator voltage output make a perfectly good plug read change to a pig rich plug read without altering the the AFR what so ever.

Change the spark plugs to what they should be and then get back to us with more pics
Ok I'll pick some up and try them.
I am open to all suggestions and appreciate everyone's input.

On resistor spark plugs. Circle Track tested about 10-12 heli-wound plug wires that had different ohms per foot. The test was to see if resistance affected the hp. There was a small HP difference between the best & the worst, & the winner did NOT have the lowest resistance. That is likely due to these wires becoming a coil [ inductor ], plus the capacitance of the wires. All except one wire was tested using resistor plugs. One brand insisted on using non-res plugs & got the lowest hp.....
whatever , MSD recommends non resistor plus...

From the beginning of time, everyone I have ever known with any smarts has always, always, ALWAYS said Carburetor FIRST and then timing. Then usually zoom in on the carburetor after that. That's how I've done it a very long time and it's always worked well. Different folks do different stuff, though.

That’s right. You don’t slam an *** load of timing to an engine when it’s running raw fuel through it at idle.

There is no logic or even reasonable thinking there, but Vizard said it so it must be.

Again, the OP isn’t low on compression and he isn’t over cammed so why 30 at idle? Because Bewy says that Vizsrd says it’s what to do?

And he keeps arguing his error.

I’ll say it this way. You don’t fix a rich idle condition with initial timing. Ever.

You get some fuel out of it at idle. Or get some more air to it at idle. But running a bunch of timing at it is dead wrong.

Gimmee a break, my very similar combo would idle with the Idle-timing down as low as 5 degrees, no problem. 12 to 14 is all I've ever run, cuz that is where my T-slots synced up at.

Lemmee splain something;
Your AFR at idle is created by the combination of transfer slot exposure underneath the primary throttle blades, PLUS idle-mixture screws, augmented by fuel-level. If you close the throttles to reduce transfer fuel, you will have to increase the mixture screw fuel. If you do not, the engine will idle poorly or stall. So then, there is NO POINT to shutting off the transfers!
In your case, with the transfers as good as shut off, it won't idle very well if at all, on just the mixture screws, so you HAVE to throw timing at it to help out.
But now, as soon as you step on the gas pedal and open the throttles, the transfers come back on line, and now the ENTIRE low-speed circuit is fat cuz of the fat mixture screws.
That's just how simple it is.

Here is your game plan, the very same game-plan I used on mine;
1) Take the carb off, drain it, and flip it over.
2) Making sure the throttle is closed, and using the speed screw, adjust the transfer slot exposure to dead square. After that is done, do not touch the speed screw.
3) Reinstall the carb and set the mixture screws to; in the middle of their operating range. The Edelbrock/Carter should be about 2.5 turns out
4) Fill the bowls with gas and start it up, then let her warm up.
5) Now, replumb the VA to the sparkport.
6) after she is warm, the idle at 16* initial will be too fast. RETARD the stinking timing until the in-gear idle-rpm is in the window of 650 to 550; and in Neutral is not more than 750.
DO NOT touch the curb-idle-speed screw!
7) twiddle the mixture screws for best stable idle.
8) shut the engine off. Go check where the the mixture screws ended up.
a) if they are open further than 3.0 turns, the engine wants more idle fuel, so open the transfers, using the speed screw, about a half a turn, reset the mixtures to 2.5, and go back to step 7
b) but, if the mixture screws are at less than 2.0, then the engine is getting too much from the transfers, so shut them up a half-turn on the speed screw, reset the mixture-screws and go back to step 7
9) AFTER you get the mixture-screws synchronized to the transfers, you can then set the IDLE-Timing anywhere you want.
10) IF your new setting creates a tip-in sag, (see note-1), timing will NOT eliminate it. Most likely, modest additional idle-timing will not affect it at all. Usually this happens because the T-slot to mixture screw synchronization is off, the transfers being too far closed. BUT, I just detailed how to set the sync, and if you did what I explained, then the sync is now right on, and DO NOT mess with it! If the sag is very minor, ok, with the speed screw, open the throttle 1/4 to 1/2 turn, twiddle the mixture screws back to best lean idle. then see what happens.
If you have to, increasing the WET fuel level, will make it easier for the fuel to climb up the mainwells.
11) to see how close your AFR is (obviously without a gauge),
here is the procedure;

>Determine exactly where your after-tune idle mixture screws are set at,
should be 2.5 turns out, +/- , 1/4 turn.
Warm up the engine,
rev it up to about 2000/2200, and set the fast-idle cam to hold it in that neighborhood.
twiddle the mixture screws lean, to obtain the highest rpm.
kick it off fast idle and shut off the engine.
determine where the mixture screws ended up.
a) if more than 2.5T, then the engine wants more fuel at the rpm of testing.
b) if less than 2.5T, then the engine wants less fuel at the rpm of testing.
c) once the load comes on, she will want additional fuel, perhaps 1/4 turn.
d) if the screws are within lemmee guess, say in the window of 2.25 to 2.75 turns out, then forget about it. But if say a full turn, then I would consider fixing it.
e) you only have a couple of options to change this, and this will affect the life of your plugs, your fuel economy, and if very fat, can shorten the life of your rings and cylinder walls.

Note-1
A tip-in sag occurs when the transfers are too far closed. In this condition, air passing by the throttles sorta evacuates the upper exposed section, and then when you gently open the throttles, it takes a split-second for additional fuel to get pulled up and over the top of the mainwell. This is felt as a slight hesitation. The further closed the transfers are, the bigger/worse the hesitation becomes.
Do not confuse this with an accelerator pump issue, and do not try to cover this sag with pumpshot! Doing so costs gas-money and engine-life; Fix the sync.

Note-2
AFAIK, all hex-shaped Chrysler VAs are adjustable.
Inside the nipple, there is an allen screw, that adjusts both the onset and rate of advance.
On the arm is a number that indicates, in distributor degrees, the amount of advance each can is calibrated to. I have seen anywhere from I think 4* to 15* which has to be doubled, to get crank degrees.
HOWEVER, the thing that sets this number is the large stops on the arm, which you are free to grind off, bit by bit, until you get whatever amount of advance that your engine wants, up to a maximum of 22/24 degrees.
It's so easy, anyone can do it.
Mine is set to bring all of it in, as quickly as is possible, no delay ...... which allows me to easily run 14* or less idle timing, even down to 5*, cuz as soon as that circuit wakes up, she brings up to 22* to the party.

Note-3
btw, if that cam of yours is on a 110 or less LSA, it has the potential to make great to fantastic hiway fuel economy.
With that cam in straight up, the power extraction is very long, compared to other cams of this size. By combining this long extraction period, with the high cylinder pressure of your 340, your engine has the potential, with optimized cruize timing, and coupled with an overdrive; to go deep into the 20mpgs, assuming that 340 is not pushing a brick..
However, the overlap period is generous enough, that with headers and good heads, it should continue to make modest power to past 5500.
---------------------------------------------------------
As an aside;
My Hughes 223/230/110 cam had very similar specs, and easily went deep 20s with overdrive and a manual trans. I used to mention that, on one particular trip, point to point, geared 65=1600, she made 32mpgs; and most everyone here seems to think that is impossible, pretty much calling me a liar......... so if you hear that, from somebody else, just know that it was done on a day-long trip, and we were not always doing just 65. By 85mph, that rpm had risen to 2100. The timing was optimized at cruise rpm, using a dash-mounted, adjustable, electronic timing module, with a range of 15 degrees.
My combo has never burned anything higher than 87, except for the time she went to the track, and ran four Eighth mile blasts, with a lil hi-test 91 dribbled in.
Furthermore;
that 223 cam, in my 11.3Scr/367 used the same plugs for 5 years, until one day the lobes fell off the cam. I replaced that cam with a 230/237/110 cam, and left those plugs in it.
Those plugs were new in 1999.
They have seen three cams, several intakes, several carbs, and three ignition systems ......... and they were still in there over 100,000 miles later. I finally installed new ones in fall of 2022, as a courtesy to the guy that wanted to buy the car. So those plugs were 23years old when I pulled them. Jus saying.
I agree, the plugs will tell you the health of your engine. Last year I changed my plugs (N-9Y) on my 69 340, manual, at around 70,000 miles and they were clean and tan, just a little wider jap. I do spend around one hour setting the dwell on it's dual point distributor.

When I set the idle mixture screws I turned them all the way in until it stumbled then turned out 1/4 turn.
How much rpm drop from park to drive.
Are you setting timing and mixture in gear? If not, you should. Transition, transition, transition.

There is no logic or even reasonable thinking there, but Vizard said it so it must be.

Again, the OP isn’t low on compression and he isn’t over cammed so why 30 at idle? Because Bewy says that Vizsrd says it’s what to do?
I wonder if it has anything to do with his camshaft formula and all those tight LSA's that he recommends that increase overlap and dilute the intake charge and the cylinders ability to fill at idle needing more initial........

Lean mixtures NEED more timing.

Hysteric,
Are you really that ignorant? Engines using a distributor have a rotor that has an air gap that the spark has to jump before it gets to the spark plugs. That air gap has a resistance in the millions of ohms, several orders of magnitude greater than a 5k resistor inside the plug. In fact,
Phil Jacobs in his performance ign book suggests INCREASING the rotor gap to increase performance. Hmm...

img372.jpg

Here is the plug wire test. #6 was a non-res plug, specified by the wire manufacturer

img370.jpg

Finally, Hysteric, you did something right......
lean mixtures need more timing, which is why when cam overlap increases, the mixture is diluted [ leaned out ] at lower rpms by exh dilution...& requires more timing.

Many years ago, Champion had a spark plug series called the U series that had a large internal air gap to reduce fouling.

img373.jpg

Here it is again from NGK:

WHAT IS A RESISTOR SPARK PLUG?

Since resistor type plugs actually “resist” some of the spark energy, non-resistor type plugs actually deliver a more powerful spark. It is for this reason that most racing plugs are non-resistor types.

I drove my car today for and I noticed it started about the same but idled smoother at 750 and there is a 50 rpm drop from neutral to drive so that worked out.
I haven't tried a hotter plug yet but will try that Monday and maybe the new metering rods will be here by then too.
I don't know what the initial timing is yet because my timing light quit on me and I ordered a new one and it's not here yet.
Supposed to be hotter than hell this week so those plans might change.

Hysteric,
Post #66....comes from NGK. You obviously know little about spark generation.
Production cars used carbon string high tension leads, often with a resistance as high as 30,000 ohms. Then they had the series resistance of the rotor tip gap ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNND the series resistance of the spark plug gap itself, both of which are millions of ohms. The spark is not going to be bothered by a little 5kohm resistor. There is also capacitance involved because the plug lead becomes a capacitor. If the leads are spiral wound, then those leads fit the definition of an inductor. So you have capacitance, inductance & resistance in the circuit, not just resistance.

Hysteric,
Production cars used carbon string high tension leads, often with a resistance as high as 30,000 ohms. Then they had the series resistance of the rotor tip gap ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNND the series resistance of the spark plug gap itself, both of which are millions of ohms. The spark is not going to be bothered by a little 5kohm resistor. There is also capacitance involved because the plug lead becomes a capacitor. If the leads are spiral wound, then those leads fit the definition of an inductor. So you have capacitance, inductance & resistance in the circuit, not just resistance.
Better add more resistance I'm sure you'll make more and more power the greater the resistance is.

Hysteric,

M S D wires have a resistance of 50 ohms per foot ,back when I was hunting a short , I tested mine and they were right on , maybe even a hair less ...

Bob,
I have used many sets of the MSD 'Universal cut to size' 8.5mm wire sets. Yes, should definitely check the resistance. Every lead. These universal sets come with the spark plug end already terminated. On the last set I used, after terminating the dist cap end, it measured high resistance, not the 100 or so ohms it should. The problem was a poor termination on the spark plug terminal.
So much for Chinese QC!!
Another 'problem' with these wires [ & they do not mention this in the instructions ]: the helical wire is copper with an enamel insulating coating. If you do not want a high resistance connection, the enamel should be scraped off to reveal bare copper.

Bob,
I have used many sets of the MSD 'Universal cut to size' 8.5mm wire sets. Yes, should definitely check the resistance. Every lead. These universal sets come with the spark plug end already terminated. On the last set I used, after terminating the dist cap end, it measured high resistance, not the 100 or so ohms it should. The problem was a poor termination on the spark plug terminal.
So much for Chinese QC!!
Another 'problem' with these wires [ & they do not mention this in the instructions ]: the helical wire is copper with an enamel insulating coating. If you do not want a high resistance connection, the enamel should be scraped off to reveal bare copper.
must be a problem on your procedure , I haven't experienced that in over 50 yrs of using M S D wires , from a super stock 426 hemi , 2-406 sbc , 383 sbc , and now a 505'' 440....no problems with any of them...

-
Back