Spark plug article

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I was reading a spark plug article online. I have always use champion plug 12 heat range so never tried a hotter or colder plug. I found this interesting as different plug manufactures have different heat indexing.
Quote from article.
It is also important to note that Champion plugs use a larger number for a hotter plug while NGK plugs reference heat in the opposite direction, with hotter plugs using a lower number. So, it's important to know your spark plug manufacturer's reference numbers regarding heat range.

Just throwing this out there.

Here's a NGK cross reference chart I found.

Spark_Plug_Heat_Range_Chart.jpg

The biggest mistake enthusiasts make is using a colder plug...when they should be going one step hotter.

I was reading a spark plug article online. I have always use champion plug 12 heat range so never tried a hotter or colder plug. I found this interesting as different plug manufactures have different heat indexing.
Quote from article.
It is also important to note that Champion plugs use a larger number for a hotter plug while NGK plugs reference heat in the opposite direction, with hotter plugs using a lower number. So, it's important to know your spark plug manufacturer's reference numbers regarding heat range.

Just throwing this out there.
Yeah, it can get kornfrooshin sometimes going from one brand to another and the dingbats at these parts stores know absolutely nothing about it, so don't rely on them. Maybe one of us can work up a list if there's not already one out there with different brands and how they measure from hot to cold. I knew some were backwards from others, but I don't know which are which with all brands. AC Delco, for instance is hotter the higher the number. Like an 43 plug is colder than a 45. IMO, they all should standardize to that, because it makes more sense, but they don't.

Yeah no guarantee with it, but I believe I pulled it from NGK site a few years back??
I’ve seen this chart before and it’s kinda wonky. I think it’s about 1 line off, Champion to NGK.

I think the 18-19 Champion is actually a 4 NGK so it’s off all the way down.

But it’s pretty close.

-
Back