.. spark plug recommendation ? ..

-
I use bosch platinum also... not that it matters cause my 273 just kicked the bucket.Ha ha
Hey just curious, anyone know which plugs are made in japan? Not china, not taiwan, but Japan. The japanese make quality electronics......I know im gonna get hated for this one!!

I've been running Champs for the last 3 1/2 decades and have no issues with them. I did at one time switch to Autolites but the quick acceleration, IMO, was not there so back to the Champs and have been there ever since. 340 .030 MSD ingition, Mopar 509 Purple cam, 3500 stall, and Champs do there JOB..
Are they RC12YC or what part number?

I think Item# NGKR5672A-9 for a 11.1 cr motor, haven't touched the plugs in a year or two.

Put plugs in my 273 yesterday. I had 8 plugs from a junkyard Magnum along with wires, heat shields, and coil. 6 were Bosch Platinum+2 4308 (4 ground fingers) and looked new. One was the much shorter 4302 (fix for oil fouling?). The last was a Splitfire SF522D.

The SF was eroded to a 0.080" gap, so I tossed. I think bogus anyway. Ever read their ads? "First we dyno'ed with regular plugs" (cold engine?) then we dyno'ed with SF plugs and got more HP (engine hot now?).

I added two Autolite 66 plugs to the Bosch 4308's, exact same threaded length, though use the small socket. One can't gap the Bosch's, which is equivalent to 0.040", based on the gappable plugs listed on rockauto. Seems weak since I thought good electronic ignitions typically like a 0.060" gap. Maybe only if distributor-less. Magnums lasted until 2003, still using a distributor. I have a Crane XR700 ignition and will later add an MSD Stacker, so set the Autolites to 0.055". I recall the old Delta CD box on my Newport said to gap to 0.050".

The Magnum plug shields don't fit my 273 head. They are simple metal sleeves with a gap that press into the plug recess. They might be supported on just the wire boots, but might rattle. Anyway, the wires from the 273 were fairly new silicone ones so I re-used. I might use the Magnum coil since it looks like an after-market E-core type and might put out more voltage. It was bolted to the front of the left head, I assume for better cooling, though I don't have the tapped holes in my head.

When I worked for Chrysler for twelve years the only plug we ever stocked was Champion, with that being said I'm running NGK's.

Autolites are now Chinese-made trash. Champions are American-made trash. I have consistently good results with NGK number ZFR5N, see here.
no adverse affect running with a MSD digital 6? I know that you cant (aren't supposed to) run platinum or split-type plugs with the MSD. I run Bosch Platinum in my stock vehicles and have never had problems. Even ran Autolite platinums but that was at least 10 years ago...

For the OP - I'd run Champion 404s (RN12YC) at .030 gao with any stock type ignition. If you have a hotter multi-spark, Autolites. In race or high performance street engines I run NGK V-Grooves.

-
Back