Spark plug suggestion

-

Del

Papa66Bcuda
Reaction score
wondering what spark plugs and gap everyone's using. I have a 66 Barracuda with a 273 originally a 2 barrel motor and points now 4 barrel with LDB4 intake with a Edelbrock and electronic ignition . I know the gap has got to be larger than.035 with electronic ignition just looking for suggestions on what brand everyone is using . Thanks

Your compression didn't change so use the 2 barrel plugs. N14y's I believe. Champions came in it and that's what works. Stock gap is .035. You can gap them at .040. The gap will get larger as they wear. That's what I would do.

No, .035 is a good starting point and stock. You can try wider after you get the engine running well. Use the OE Champion factory plug. Same heat range. You can try other plugs. I like the Champs, others curse them.

Your compression didn't change so use the 2 barrel plugs. N14y's I believe. Champions came in it and that's what works. Stock gap is .035. You can gap them at .040. The gap will get larger as they wear. That's what I would do.
Thanks that's what I ran last year and was fine but had a friend tell me different. I'm gonna stick with what I have using I like Autolite but might try Champion. Thanks for your opinion

No, .035 is a good starting point and stock. You can try wider after you get the engine running well. Use the OE Champion factory plug. Same heat range. You can try other plugs. I like the Champs, others curse them.
Thanks for your input I am sticking like it is

Thanks that's what I ran last year and was fine but had a friend tell me different. I'm gonna stick with what I have using I like Autolite but might try Champion. Thanks for your opinion
I switched to Autolite on a fresh 273 and chased a idle issue for a couple summers. The heat range was too cold according to the conversion chart. No Autolites for this guy!

Almost any copper core plug will do,.35 gap. Your in the same boat I was, I tried the irridium plugs and they only work good for a short while because the coils we use do not deliver as much power as the new computerized coils do.

E3 all the way! Dude they add 20 HP !!!!

Marine plugs raise your compression and never need the gap adjusted.:D:poke:

marine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realize I'm just throwing out the E3 suggestion to stir the pot. Like really stir the pot. Because NGK plugs are junk. :poke:

Really never heard of using marine plugs in a car. Are you serious?

Absolutely not.:D
It was a joke to go along with E3 plugs making 20 more hp.
Though they can be run in a car engine they are WAY too cold of a plug.

-
Back