Spark, plug wire resistance

-

340inabbody

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I crimped some new spark plug wires and was measuring the resistance of all the wires with my digital fluke meter. While Taylor specifies roughly 50 Ohms per foot and on average the wires are just under 2 feet max. I am still measuring 600.K Ohms.

Could this be due to the resistance of the crimps and contact?

What gives? What do you guys measure on your wires?

Are you actually using Taylor wire? Different wire, can be different resistance. "Back in the day" the "go to" universal cut-off figure for factory wires, used to be no more than 1000 ohms per foot, and I don't think I ever found any that high, unless just open.

If possible, photos of a couple of crimps or at least detail how you did that. 600K is too much

You have any wire left? Try jamming your meter probes right into the ends of the wire and take a reading

Sorry guys my bad. The reading was actually 600-800 Ohms. The wire is Taylor not the Thunderbolt which I had thought just the regular 8mm wire. I measured just a piece of wire and it’s about 350 Ohms per foot so my readings now make sense.

Spark plug resistance makes a difference also. Case in point. Dodge 5.7 hemi. spark plug resistance in champion from auto parts store is different than plugs from dealer. There is a tsb that concerns 5.7 engines dying at stop signs, with no apparent cause. Mopar says it has to do with the plug resistance difference. Mopar has plugs made to their specs. I put champions from napa in my 08 and it happened. Bought plugs from dealer where wife worked and no problem. Does not affect your concern here but it may bite someone later.

i will try to find it. it is under jeep as it was originally dealing with grand cherokee"s but was later changed to include trucks. may be under drivability section. my buddy, that was a teacher at the st. louis ,mo training center, district mgr and now a teacher at siue carbondale,il, said you will not find a code in system, even when scanner is hooked up while driving and it dies.

-
Back