Spark Plugs and Anti-Seize - What kind to use?

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I am going to change the spark plugs in a newer 4.7L this weekend.

It was supposed to have the upper row of spark plugs changed at 30K and it didn't. It is now at 60K and I am expecting trouble.

Assuming that we can get the coils off the plugs with out tearing up the boots AND without damaging the threads in the aluminum heads...

What kind of Anti-seize do you guys use when installing new spark plugs in aluminum heads?

Would you want to use a copper based, nickel based, etc? Would it even make a difference?

The only reason I ask is that I ran out of my stash at home. I stopped by the auto parts store today on lunch and picked this stuff up. :tard:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VCH0/13010.oap?ck=Search_N0490_-1_-1&pt=N0490

13010.jpg

That will work just fine....you can use some silicone spray or grease on the boots as a release agent for later.....and keeps moisture out, too.

A little goes a long way with anti-seize on spark plug threads.

As mentioned above use Dielectric grease in the plug wire/ coil pack boot.

A little goes a long way with anti-seize on spark plug threads.

As mentioned above use Dielectric grease in the plug wire/ coil pack boot.

I have to agree with everyone here, but when this question was asked on another site, most of the answers were not to use anti seize as this will happen and that will happen. I find it funny that 2 different sites have 2 different answers.

Pull the plugs with the engine cold. Warm heads can pull threads out with the plug. And as has been stated, a little dab'll do ya. I can't tell you how many misfires we find with anti seize fouled plugs. Think how tight the threads are. A little dab gets squeezed all around.

I have to agree with everyone here, but when this question was asked on another site, most of the answers were not to use anti seize as this will happen and that will happen. I find it funny that 2 different sites have 2 different answers.

I have heard a lot of people say don't do it. The key is to use a little as opposed to too much. It doesn't take much on the threads to aid in removal in the future.

-
Back