spark plugs for carbed magnum

-

minty

Reaction score
just installing 360 magnum into A body platform,300 hp base crate motor spec,can anyone recommend a decent allround plug.Thankyou

I like Champion plugs, I'd order them for a 70 340. I do not have the number for them off hand. But the OE number has been superceeded a few times, you'll get a newer one that is a resistor and copper headed.

Since the engine is basically stock except for running a carb. use stock type plugs. I have had good luck with NGK V-power's. Not sure on the part # for your application but I'm sure the auto parts store would know.

I have the Magnum crate motor, which is almost identical to a stock Magnum. For plugs I just ask for stock type for a 2000 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 litre engine. NGK double platinum is good for the street.

I like Champion plugs, I'd order them for a 70 340.

The 13/16 hex of the old LA head plug won't fit a magnum head. The thread and reach are the same but there is not enough room to fit the plug and socket down into the head recess. The magnum head plug has a 5/8" hex and is actually a great choice for LA motors with headers, the smaller 5/8" hex socket will fit between the tube and the head on cylinders 5 and 7.

THe magnum engine (3.6,5.2,5.9) spec'd in Autolite numbers a 3924 from 92 to 96 and a 5224 from 97 up. I use 3924's in my engine (the nose projection is slightly less on the 3924). If you feel the need for a colder heat range there is a 3923 readily available.

If you want to go with Champions the numbers are RC12YC for a regular plug and RC12PYP for the double platinum plug. 12 is the heat range.

Jack

The 13/16 hex of the old LA head plug won't fit a magnum head. The thread and reach are the same but there is not enough room to fit the plug and socket down into the head recess. The magnum head plug has a 5/8" hex and is actually a great choice for LA motors with headers, the smaller 5/8" hex socket will fit between the tube and the head on cylinders 5 and 7.

If you want to go with Champions the numbers are RC12YC for a regular plug and RC12PYP for the double platinum plug. 12 is the heat range.

Jack

Thanks Dave, I was trying to remember the plug I use on my engine, a Edelbrock headed 360 with the smaller hex head plug.
I figured wrong since you can still get a 340 plug, just updated and super ceded part numbers, but the hex is still large. My bad!

Jack got the part number for my plug there (I THINK!) the RC12YC

-
Back