heres my combo

76 360
9.5.1 compression
thumpr cam
eddy rpm heads
eddy performer intake
fbo ignition
quickfuel ss650 dp

im at my wits end here i set timing where don said to 16 intial but with advance picks up to 30 at idle.total 34 at 3000 rpm. i adjusted carb for max vacuum its around 14 inches with idle mix screws a little over 1/2 turn but plugs are carbon fouling bad switched the champion rc12yc that edlebrock recomended to the autolite equivelant but still does same thing

try adjusting your idle air bleeds on that quickfuel carb, that should help alot.
It sounds too rich to me too.

Did this engine ever run right, or is present plug fouling condition a recent development?

Yup, too rich, all of above, plus check for: high float level; proper jetting, blown power valve, choke for full pull-off once warmed up, and manifold heat riser.

My money is on main jetting, and or blown power valve.

Another thought, what temperature thermostat are you running?

heres my combo

76 360
9.5.1 compression
thumpr cam
eddy rpm heads
eddy performer intake
fbo ignition
quickfuel ss650 dp

im at my wits end here i set timing where don said to 16 intial but with advance picks up to 30 at idle.total 34 at 3000 rpm. i adjusted carb for max vacuum its around 14 inches with idle mix screws a little over 1/2 turn but plugs are carbon fouling bad switched the champion rc12yc that edlebrock recomended to the autolite equivelant but still does same thing

disconnect vacuum advance from intake vaccum and hook up to ported vaccum .....plug vaccum port then retime engine....set intial to high as possible...then hook up vacuum advance back to ported vacuum....

does screwing in the idle screws have any effect on the idle of the engine?
check vacuum with engine idling .....what power valve (s) in 650dp?......it is a four corner idle carb?

-
Back