Spark plugs

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
What plugs would you run in a 71 340 streeter, that are reasonable?

champion n9yc...what the factory put in it...

Champion for over 40+years.

Now let the fun begin! :happy1:

Kenny

I've tried a quite a few different options but find the old tried and true Autolites to perform as good as any. Plain old Autolite 65s in my cars right now. I used to use only Champion but they don't seem to be the same quality they once were.

The engine builder I consult said plain old Autolites. On the dyno a set of Splitfire plugs lost 50hp to a set of plain Autolites. I've ran NGK, Autolites, and Champion and never had an issue with any. Everytime the part store guy argues my brand selection and give siting to a "buddy", my responce is this "If you are having issues with the spark plug then you either have the wrong plug and/or an issue in the ignition system or fuel or both."

Run what brand you feel good with.

autolite 63s in mine runs great.did the splitfire test years ago on an 11to 1 440 and the autolites were 2 tenths better

OK then....I use Champion in my car.
$1.99/plug so yes I am blowing your $8.00 budget. :D

Mop

I think your street 340 would be happier with n12y's (r n12yc). The 9's are pretty cold. I tried this a few months ago with my hp273. The factory plug is a n9y. I switched to 63 Autolites which is a n8y on some charts. The motor always ran rough and switched to n12y's and immediately the motor ran smoother and cleaner. Here's a thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=186166
tmm

In response to the comment about running a hotter/colder plug here is some helpful info......

Some cars with high-performance engines naturally generate more heat, so they need colder plugs. If the spark plug gets too hot, it could ignite the fuel before the spark fires; so it is important to stick with the right type of plug for your car.

$0.02

Just out of curiosity, what's all the excitement about these E3 diamond fire spark plugs? I keep hearing about them and see ads for them on various shows, but never once heard of them until this year.

Ive run E3s on a couple diffrent vehicles they work great on carb models not as good on fuel inj.

-
Back