spark plugs

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
Do the new iridium plugs work well with our 70's engines (79-360)? My electrical system is updated to better than the old stock one was but still not as great as some are.
J-G

Some guys use those denso irriddium plugs.too expensive for me.

All our engines need is a good quality copper core plug. Nothing more. You'll not see any difference using a more "elaborate" plug other than your pocketbook becoming a little less full.

hi jean -guy do you have any plans for the car this winter ? and say hi to jaqeulin for us but I can never remember how to spell her name lol . cant wait till we hookup again in july. Aaron .

I don't think there is any fundamental difference in how the spark fires the fuel/air charge between our engines and newer engines, if you discount the latest "direct injection" gas engines. Indeed, the Magnum small block is essentially the same as our LA engine and was sold until ~2000.

I agree that most spark plug "technology" is marketing hype. Remember the $5 ea "split-fire" plugs? Increased HP was verified on a dyno. What they didn't say is that they (probably) ran a cold engine with copper plugs, then tested the split-fires with a warmed-up engine. I think the main advantage of platinum and other exotic metals is that the tip doesn't erode as fast, so can get 100,000 miles from them.

Understand that platinum, iridium and other exotic plugs come in a lot of NEW cars that require them due to modern engine design. As the EPA tightens emissions standards, engines must burn more and more of the fuel going through them. This means higher temperatures.

Exotic plugs can burn hotter than a standard plug that our older engines were designed for. Running them in an application where they are not required could possibly lead to engine damage such as burned valves and pistons perhaps quicker if the engine is introduced to a lean condition because of the added heat the plugs produce. Run what the book says.

Understand that platinum, iridium and other exotic plugs come in a lot of NEW cars that require them due to modern engine design. As the EPA tightens emissions standards, engines must burn more and more of the fuel going through them. This means higher temperatures.

Exotic plugs can burn hotter than a standard plug that our older engines were designed for. Running them in an application where they are not required could possibly lead to engine damage such as burned valves and pistons perhaps quicker if the engine is introduced to a lean condition because of the added heat the plugs produce. Run what the book says.

Pretty much.

Everything I've got runs Copper Plugs (Well, except my Yamaha, the 2-Stroke Engine will foul out a stock copper NGK plug pretty quickly, so I run a Platinum in it). When I was in my teens, I tried a set of Iridium Plugs in my D50, those things lasted about 100 miles before they started shorting out. I also tried the +2 and +4 Bosch Platinum Plugs (the ones with multiple electrodes). All I succeeded in doing there, was spending more money for no gain. :eek:ops:

Exotic plugs can burn hotter than a standard plug that our older engines were designed for. Running them in an application where they are not required could possibly lead to engine damage such as burned valves and pistons. ... Run what the book says.
I think the EPA's concern is that copper plugs erode faster, so the gap widens over time, leading to mis-fires. You may have a point that newer cars have more powerful ignitions. Look at youtube videos of a GM LS coil firing (megasquirters like those) and compare to your orange box. Exotic metal plugs stand up to that power better. However, I doubt the flip-side is true, i.e. that an exotic plug will make your spark stronger. I also doubt that our pistons can't stand a hotter spark just as well, if one does install LS coils. An MSD box gives a big kick too and people have used those for years. I do agree that "run what the book says" is good advice, especially for those who drive their car minimally or check/replace the plugs regularly.

Well, I can tell you this from experience. I KNOW that running a standard plug where a platinum is required will cause engine damage. Seen it first hand when I was a Toyota tech for almost 8 years. Toyota will also void the warranty if non platinums are used where they are required. So, I know from experience engine damage can result from using non platinums where they are required. I have always read and heard that the same can happen when platinums are used where they are NOT required as well. I think the safest bet, regardless of which side of the argument you're on is use the correct plug.

-
Back