Spark plugs

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
I was wondering: if I was o take out my spark plugs, lets say to clean them and when putting them back in, one of them goes in cross tread, "what is a person to do?" Just file the frigged up threads or what?

go easy with thoughts of filing threads. I take a new plug with oil on threads and screw it in slowly, going back and in at the correct angle gently

or get a spark plug thread chaser and go easy with it till you know its straight then go in 1/2 turn then back out then in an additional 1/2 turn until you are down to the seat.

If you screwed it up bad you can always put a heli coil in it

Yup. Get a spark plug tap, put axle grease in the flutes and re cut the threads. The grease will keep any chips from falling into the cylinder.

Naw that motor is junk now. I got a nice /6 Ill trade you even up. I tell you what, Ill throw in a case of beer. Ill even help you drink it. Where you want this beast shipped to?

Naw that motor is junk now. I got a nice /6 Ill trade you even up. I tell you what, Ill throw in a case of beer. Ill even help you drink it. Where you want this beast shipped to?

they make an expandable spark plug thread chaser, that you put in, then expand it and back it out. brings all the junk metal out w/ it. takes about 3 trys-very carefully.:coffee2:

Put plugs in with your fingers until they are in a few threads.
NEVER start them in with a socket.

Ok , Im sorry. I cant do this anymore. I take it all back. I dont know what came over me.I thought the humor was obvious, But the only obvious thing seems to be that Im being a jerk. So please forgive me. Ill try to be nicer. Starting right now.
Cross-threading has happened to me,also. I doubt anyone is immune to it. Theres lots of good advice here. I especially like famous bobs .Where can I get one of those tools?
---------------
If you were really, really, careful You might be able to clean out the threads of that damaged sparkplug. But, stick it in a different hole, and put anti-seize on it, and go in slow. If theres any sign of trouble, back up ,check/clean the threads some more.What I have done on occasion is just to grind off the damaged threads period. Then carefully shape the new starter thread so it climbs in gradually.Thats almost guaranteed to work.

But you are still left with the damaged hole.If you dont have/cant get ,a thread restoration tool, Heres what worked for me one time; I took an old sparkplug, and took it over to the bench grinder. I lightly tapered the first 1/2 of the threads(it was a 3/4 reach plug, so that was 3/8 of an inch) . Then I took my die grinder, and made 3 flutes. To do this,I cut 3 ruts through the threads,along the plug centerline .Then I ground the leading edge over, to leave a nice sharp cutting edge.I did that to all 3 ruts.I had to touch many of the cutters up with a small file,cause the cutting disc tended to push metal into the grooves. After I was happy with the looks of it, I put a bit of anti-seize on it and went to work.Worked slick.
Thats all I got. BTW, nice looking ride.

The wind took my post

Haha, I thought you were funny AJ. Lol. "Nope, it's junk now. Let's drink some beer!" Bahah.:cheers: hey what's up by the way?!? :) and to the OP, don't worry AJ is harmless just poking some fun. Speaking of a hammer...:violent1: how did you cross the threads?!

-
Back