Speaker placement?

-

Joep

Reaction score
Hey guys Ive got a 71 demon and i'm thinking about where to put my two front speakers. Thinking in the kick panel but don't know how to make it work. Anyone care to post what kind of setup they have?

How far out do the speakers stick out in your car? That's what I'm concerned about

Anyone got any pictures? That would be very helpful!

These. I got the bare ones and sourced my own 4x6 kenwoods

I just used the cheapo's that came with them, sounded fine. Then I put some good 6X9's in the rear package tray, they bolted right in. I put a stock rear speaker slotted package tray cover over them, hung the stereo from the bottom of the dash. Left the stock one in and still hooked up.No cutting, easy install, sounds great.
I will get some pic's for joep

Those aftermarket kick speaker panels are a bit foolish in my opinion. There are cutouts in the doors for speakers. I'll never understand why so few are willing to utilize these factory provisions. Maybe if the aftermarket would repop the speaker grilles that factory installed with a premium sound system. Good luck with whatever and wherever you choose.

Are there speakers out there that will fit in the doors? That is where I would like to have them because they would be out of the way but still provide good sound. But I don't know what size speaker it is because it's a square hole plus it would be awfully close to the window glass when rolled down. That's pretty much why I resorted to the kick panels

I built some small light weight wooden boxes and mounted the boxes on the vent air doors (I never use the vents anyway). I tucked the boxes way up high so you're not kicking them all the time. I bought some 50 watt 4 inch speakers and mounted them in the boxes. Nobody even knows they are there until I "crank it up"!!! I didn't want to mount them in the kick panels because Me and the passenger would always be kicking them and I didn't want cut up my door panels either.

Treblig

Those aftermarket kick speaker panels are a bit foolish in my opinion. There are cutouts in the doors for speakers. I'll never understand why so few are willing to utilize these factory provisions. Maybe if the aftermarket would repop the speaker grilles that factory installed with a premium sound system. Good luck with whatever and wherever you choose.

This is where mine are mounted, bought it that way. Not sure who put them in but they did a crappy job cutting up the door panel. Its starting to get loose and look like hell now. I had some really crappy speakers in the car when I bought it and ended up buying new ones. The grills didnt fit though. The window crank hits the grill. I had to recess the grills into the door panel and those panels are not easy to cut and break easy. I wish someone would repop something for that area.

Are there speakers out there that will fit in the doors? That is where I would like to have them because they would be out of the way but still provide good sound. But I don't know what size speaker it is because it's a square hole plus it would be awfully close to the window glass when rolled down. That's pretty much why I resorted to the kick panels

I believe its a 5" speaker that I bought for the door. Although it seemed a bit small for the door hole. I had to make some brackets to hold it properly. I didnt measure the opening to find the exact size I just replaced what was already in the door. I had at least a inch to inch and half to the glass after I installed the speaker and I installed it on the back side of the door.

pretty sure my car was never intended to have speakers in the doors.
the kick panel speakers are in the pic, you just can't see them, which is exactly the point.

Attachments

• IMAG1170.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 253
the factory speaker grille for the door is about 5 inches square and only 1/4 in out from flush with the door panel. Their speaker mounted to it. Vibration from the speaker was isolated from the door this way but that grille wouldn't hold up the heavy magnet speakers that most want today. Heat, age, weight, warped the 67 OEM grilles I have.
I suppose these are the reasons for no reproductions. Even if they were molded from Lexan instead of ABS,many modern speakers might be too deep for the no vent window models.

Although there may be provisions for door panel speakers, I feel they are absolutely hideous. This was one of the many "luxuries" I acquired long ago with my '69 Barracuda. All four of the panels, (front and rear) were chopped for speakers and just an AM radio.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I'd go with the kick if I were to put other speakers in.

Foolish? Who wants to cut holes in the factory original door panels? Then kick the speakers every time you get out knocking the grills off. Had too many cars set up this way
The kick panel ones, never get kicked, are out of the way, never hit the window crank when rolling up the window.. Sound great. Never need to worry about the speakers falling out, because the screws vibrate out eventually. OH, and then they get wet from the window cavity, or when you open the door during rain.
If I ever want to go back to stock, I just put the original kick panels back in......No cutting ever.
I'll keep my foolish kick panel speakers thank you.
P.S. The Valiant looks awesome.

pretty sure my car was never intended to have speakers in the doors.
the kick panel speakers are in the pic, you just can't see them, which is exactly the point.

Your car is really nice....My Valiant I sold last year:

Attachments

• wheelie.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 196
I built some small light weight wooden boxes and mounted the boxes on the vent air doors (I never use the vents anyway). I tucked the boxes way up high so you're not kicking them all the time. I bought some 50 watt 4 inch speakers and mounted them in the boxes. Nobody even knows they are there until I "crank it up"!!! I didn't want to mount them in the kick panels because Me and the passenger would always be kicking them and I didn't want cut up my door panels either.

Treblig

I like this,did this on my '72 Swinger. Added a cheapo, 60 watt Urban amp(The CD player was ,a older Sony non amplified slave deck) Sounded better ,than I thought.

Here are some pics of where I mounted my front speakers. The driver's side is tucked up so high it's hard to see in the pics. The one thing is that I have a 500 watt amp and two 10 inch speakers mounted behind my rear seat. Then I made these small custom rear armrests with another pair of 50watt 4 inch speakers. My daughter gets very upset at me when I drive to her school to pic her up and I have Led Zeppelin blasting!!!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02671.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC02667.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC02674.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC02665.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC02662.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC04142.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC04141.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC04140.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC04124.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC04125.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 183
66dvert made a set of kick panels with provision for 6" speakers for my 66 barracuda. You might PM him and see if he can do your make and model.

thanks Cuda65vpt.. how did they fit? shoot me some pic's of them installed will ya? I'm always looking at ways to make them better.. The next mold setup (working on now)is a 3" deep set for all the "boomer guys" that like to crank it up. The pods will be 1.5 inches higher to help with leg clearance and still clear the Airbox on both sides and still clearing for the dimmer switch too!

I wanted to make a set for the later A's but you can get them easily on the internet. Some of them are just like the original, injection molded but with speakers so it's just not worth doing it to compete with those guys. Vacuforming is totally different process and I'm not even going to try a DIY Injection molder.(yet) got too many irons in the fire already!

For me putting them in the door panel just didn't work ... I just hated to tear up an expensive set of door panels and the added expense of replacing them of they got ruined. that's why I put mine in the kick panels.. plus the fact of no one that I knew of was making them (kick panels with speakers) for earlier A's. Later A's have many more options. Way cheaper to replace the hardboard kick panels than door panels, oh and wiring them so they were weather proof also sucks in the door. you have to drill and grommet the wires for the earlier A's. Nobody I know makes the sound box that used to come in those systems in the door and thin sheet plastic just doesn't cut it for me to weatherproof the speakers. I guess If I had a door for the later A's I could mold a speaker box with weatherproof connections added for easy mounting. but that's another iron in the fire and it ain't gonna happen right away

-
Back