Specialty Wheel (Mopar Rallyes)

-

1badfish67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if Coker is the only retailer selling the Specialty Wheels line of mopar rallyes?

Coker is a bit weird about those wheels. If you call them they will sometimes tell you they're by Vintiques and sometimes by SpecialtyWheel. A bit more digging shows that Coker owns Wheel Vintiques as well as Specialty. They are a bit cagey about what they OWN and what they LICENSE (like some of the tire brands especially), but I would not be surprised if SpecialtyWheel and Wheel Vintiques came from the same factory.

The Specialty brand is on Amazon as well, as an aside.

Did you check Summit?
Did you check Summit?
Yes sir. All I could find on their website was the Wheel Vintiques and they have a message tied to the 14x7 and 14x6 SBP wheels that say they are unavailable for order.
Did you check Summit?
Wheel Vintiques-Summit.JPG

Coker is a bit weird about those wheels. If you call them they will sometimes tell you they're by Vintiques and sometimes by SpecialtyWheel. A bit more digging shows that Coker owns Wheel Vintiques as well as Specialty. They are a bit cagey about what they OWN and what they LICENSE (like some of the tire brands especially), but I would not be surprised if SpecialtyWheel and Wheel Vintiques came from the same factory.

The Specialty brand is on Amazon as well, as an asid

The Specialty brand is on Amazon as well, as an aside.
I wondered the same thing. Then I thought someone said there may be some center hole fitment issues with the WV's and that the trim rings didn't fit correctly compared to the OEM.

Another member on FABO picked up a pair of the 14x7 rallyes with rings from @DustyEd and that he had got them from Coker and they were Specialty Wheel. Other member said that the rims fit his car nicely and the trim rings seated all the way up to the wheel center section. No gap. Since I was potentially looking at the same wheel size I figured I would go with the Specialty Wheel brand from Coker.

I wasn't expecting the shipping for a pair of wheels to $100.99, so I thought I would see if anyone else like a Summit or Jegs or ...... carried them and get a better shipping deal.

Got an email this evening from Chad @ Coker and said he would have one of their IT folks check the website and that he wouldn't expect the shipping to be that expensive.

If you order them one at a time on separate tickets the shipping is like $36.00 ea, saving $28.99 in shipping charges. If you ordered a full set of four wheels the shipping goes down to about $33.00ea. That's wheel only, no trim rings or center caps. I was going to order a couple of wheels in different width/BS options for fit check before I ordered a full set.

Specialty Wheel as a company has not existed since 2020 , when Coker killed my deal and wiped them off the net. Coker has owned Specialty for a number of years and has some kind of vested interest in WV. For the last few years all the magnums , ralleys and steel wheels are made in the plant in CA. When Coker changed the color of the ralley wheels and went from the flat black to a gloss black on the Magnum and road wheels.
Summit and Jegs both sell WV wheels.
Also , Coker is owned by some large corporation.

I sold Specialty Wheels , for close to 30 years , it was fun while it lasted , but when the big guys move in and shut out all us little guy , it takes all the fun out. Nice meeting many of you all at the swap meets that I attended over the years.

Frank Long. The Wheel Guy

Specialty Wheel as a company has not existed since 2020 , when Coker killed my deal and wiped them off the net. Coker has owned Specialty for a number of years and has some kind of vested interest in WV. For the last few years all the magnums , ralleys and steel wheels are made in the plant in CA. When Coker changed the color of the ralley wheels and went from the flat black to a gloss black on the Magnum and road wheels.
Summit and Jegs both sell WV wheels.
Also , Coker is owned by some large corporation.

I sold Specialty Wheels , for close to 30 years , it was fun while it lasted , but when the big guys move in and shut out all us little guy , it takes all the fun out. Nice meeting many of you all at the swap meets that I attended over the years.

Frank Long. The Wheel Guy
A little monopoly trying to be worked in on that niche in the market?

I ordered a set of the WV's a few days ago from Classic Industries. There's was the only website that indicated they had everything in stock.
3 packages supposed to be delivered tomorrow. 2 final packages supposed to be on their way from Ca.
I hope the 2-1/2" deep step polished rings fit nice on the 6" and 7" wheels. I prefer the polished.

If the 2-1/2" don't fit the 7" very well, they make brushed stainless in 2-1/2" and 3". I may send the polished rings back and order the brushed versions so they all match.

New WV's arrived yesterday from Classic Industries. Unboxed a 6", 7" wheel, center cap and trim rings. For me I like the color of the wheels. I chose the "Dark Gray Argent" color caps for a little more contrast. I like that combo. I ordered 4 of the 2.5" step polished SS trim rings (#MW924). The 2.5" step ring looks like it's going to fit the 6" wheel with the 4" BS pretty close. There will be a gap with the 2.5" on the 7" wheel with 4.25" back set.

Didn't realize that CI had the polished SS in a 3" step prior to ordering but called CI up and told them the deal and they gave me an RA number for two of the 2.5" rings and are sending me out a pair of the 3" polished step trim rings(MW900). They were real friendly and helpful.

Attached are some pics of a 14x7 wheel with cap set in place and the trim ring just sitting on the wheel. Still have to put a wheel on the rear and check clearances but I think the 7" w/4.25" BS will have plenty of clearance. The ring in the picture is sitting up 7/8" above the wheel lip in the pictures as it's not pressed down in place.

20230519_101953.gif

20230519_102012.gif

20230519_102031.gif

Unboxed the wheels and started doing a bare wheel pre-fit. Started with the 14x6 on the front. Seem like I remember a few other FABO members mentioning that the center holes were a little too small to fit over the hub and that is exactly what I saw this morning on my 67 Barracuda. Everything is stock on this car including the drum breaks. I plan on calling Classic Industries first thing Monday morning and speaking to them about the center hole diameter and the wheel not sliding up to the drum.

I also noticed with the 4" BS that there is very little distance between the upper ball joint and the edge of the bare rim. Again the rim is not seat against the drum/hub and is crooked, so I measured the closest distance and the farthest distance. Closest measured about 1/8" farthest measured close to 3/8", so I would think the actual distance when seated would be somewhere between those two numbers.

Also looks like I may only get about 1/2" or less of threads on the original lug studs when the wheel is fully seated but those can probably be changed out to longer ones, if anyone carries them in the correct dia., thread pitch and spline count for these old cars anymore.

Anyone runnning these Wheel Vintiques 14x6 (4.00" BS) SBP wheels on the front of a 67 Barracuda and noticing the same thing. Anyone have an idea of how close is too close for the rim lip and top side of the upper ball joint?

Thanks

-
Back