Spectre valve cover, opinions info please.

-

YoungDart75

Reaction score
New to the game guys, and I saw the Spectre valve cover(part number SPE-5244) on the power block episode and decided to look at it to help clean up my engine bay. They can be had for pretty cheap, but I noticed that they only have the two openings but neither looks to be an oil cap. Any info as to why this would be?

I have one that you could buy. I took it off my slant. One hole you put the pcv through, the other you put a valve cover breather in. Spectre sells the grommet kit to put in there to allow each to fit for about $5 - $10 depending on where you see it. The valve cover is not baffled so I experienced oil dripping off my pcv hose, which I remedied with an old oldsmobile breather that I got at a car parts store. Slantsix.org has the info on the part number, but it has some mesh in it to stop oil from just jumping out. It may not occur for all people though, if you want a used one, I could sell it to you, otherwise they're about $30 new pretty much anywhere.

This is an old pic of it - should show you what I mean by adding a breather instead of a oil cap.

IMG_20140826_145903_zps582280c7.jpg

They use a push in breather. You can customize the plain chrome valve covers if you think outside the box.
IMG_0758_zps56d260bb.jpg

-Matt

Where would we be adding the oil afterwards since this one has not slot for the oil cap? Basically pull the breather each time and use that to add in the oil whenever your changing it? I have a Mr. Gasket breather as well a new stant one that has the mesh and little nipple off to the side so that should over the oil blowout you were talking about.

Yes that would cover the oil blowout, but yeah you basically just pop the breather out and put oil in it, then pop the breather back in. It's a super quick process.

Gotcha just wanted to make sure I knew what was going on. Doing a complete maintenance overhaul on mine since I just picked it up and don't know when the last bit of maintenance was done. So I figured id grab the new valve cover while I'm replacing some things.

I bought those baffled grommets originally, they didn't do a bit of good. They are little triangles at the bottom that are open all the time and don't do anything.

I don't have the issue anymore, I removed it, and cut the oil tower off the stock cover, and sandblasted and painted it.

IMG_20150121_151453_zps5yod38xs.jpg

-
Back