speedmaster 2.02 valve heads on a 318

-
A father n son, along with at least 1 of their employees. What i saw at their shop was a 71 sattelite the dad was cloning into a RR. The son is a drag racer, just bought a 77 volare RR off J. Scott. He is in process of stripping it and caging it. Also have a 77 dodge warlock ll.The one employee that hangs w em has a clean 70 sattelite. A little trunk rust, a little lower quarter rust, but nothing major. Said this car was a 1 owner car that has never been out of Merkel its whole life.

Anyhow, they do powdercoating , place is called red dirt powdercoating. I will check out their workmanship, if all looks good, and their prices r reasonable i will prob be taking stuff to em to do for me.

Now the big question, i know that the 340, 360 passenger side block ears are in a different location, or somethings different about them compared to a 318. Now why in the hell would mopar do that. All the different bellhousings are bad enough.

What is different about them, and can i mod a 318 passenger side mount for a 360 block.

Yes; My brother's Scamp uses 318 mounts on his 340 and the 360 that used to be in there before...I think there were just washers on the ears to offset it. Lemme see if I can find the thread(s) that discuss this...it's been cussed and discussed on here numerous times. With your fab experience it should be a non-issue

Yes; My brother's Scamp uses 318 mounts on his 340 and the 360 that used to be in there before...I think there were just washers on the ears to offset it. Lemme see if I can find the thread(s) that discuss this...it's been cussed and discussed on here numerous times. With your fab experience it should be a non-issue

I couple guys said its the drivers side mount thats the issue. I looked at autozone. They have the mounts with the brackets avail, but show same part numbers for a 318, and a 360.

Already made shims out of 1/4"plate steel to make the LH mount work on my 318, since it was off pretty bad. But the 1/4" shims i put between the LH mount and the block were able to move the tailshaft on the trans to dead center but since a 360 is now a possibility. Thank you Mr. J. Scott. He has had issues like that with solid spool mounts, and poly spool mounts. It was either that or force the trans over and have the driveline in a bind.

have to kinda reinvent the wheel now so to speak. Will prob drop the 360 short block in and loosly hook up the passenger side mount. Then with the engine blocked level with a floorjack and a 2x4 i will slip the drivers side mount in there and see where the issues are. I may be able to cut and move a section of the mount and reweld it, and gusset it. My K is in the car with no steering box mounted, so there is all sorts of room to figure it out.

If you ever saw the old DC spool mount big block A body K. They did this to the K itself. Cut the spool mount boxes, then moved them, and rewelded them. I can prob do the same thing, just to the spool mount bracket itself. I have looked and compared a bunch of these mounts on fleabay. There is def something different about em.

Thank you for the kudos on my fab skills.

Matt

Just pulled up pix on the net. Pass side is the same. Drivers side front mount ear isvin same location as the 318. the issue is the AFT mount ear is closer to the front mount ear by 1/4"

I am gonna assume correctly that my 1/4" shim spacer will have to be reused on the front ear of the 360, as it looks to be in the same location on the block as my 318 and the afore mentioned alignment issues. Looks like the rear part of the spool mount bracket on the drivers side will need to be cut and moved forward.

I run a '74 318 .030" over flat tops with unported 2.02 J heads and it screams. The people that say it's too much valve are the ones that never tried it. I had a set of fully ported small valve heads on it before and it runs better with the 2.02s. That's my experience.

Chevy's Z302 came with 2.02 valves. Unsure why it worked one those but wouldn't on a 318.

Larger bore is the reason...go ahead and use a 3" valve. Let us know how that works.

Larger bore is the reason...go ahead and use a 3" valve. Let us know how that works.

IQ52 said "The 2.02 barely enters the bore. You can run a 2.05" intake in a 318. AND what about the other 90% of the larger valve that isn't anywhere near the bore? Do you suppose it won't flow anymore air than a 1.78 or 1.88."

And I believe the Boss 302's had 2.08 intake valves?

They were 2.19" but also different angle and canted...the valves in Boss 302s, Clevelands, Modifieds and 385 series engines all open toward the center of the bore...more like a pent roof chamber than a wedge...

EDIT: The small engines also do struggle with low RPM power, but it's more about the port volume and geometry than specifically valve size

Last edited:
-
Back