Speedmaster, Edelbrock, ProMax head question for you guys

-
When this kind of thing happen, I would try to make the Ferrea valve work more like the other valve in a sense. I suspect the valve job is what's doing this.
Bowl %, throat, valve job (either biased or not), and chamber transition play a huge role in getting a fast port to play nice on a flow bench. From what I've seen on sb mopars, there is a point you don't want to go over on air speed...and it's higher than I use for other heads. And it seems to work. But once you go over that fps speed, power will suffer! So be careful!! I don't like the .100 and .200 flow numbers on the Liberty valve FWIW....

Flow goes both ways and piston speed isn't very fast at low valve openings

I’ve always heard people say build the engine around the heads. In this case building the engine around the valves, is a possibility. A lot of people don’t have a chance to see a comparison like that. To test different valves to suit your needs. Both set of flow numbers would be appealing to most people building an engine. But to see them side by side, with just a valve change is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Personally, I’d go with the liberty valves with a lower lift and a little more duration. Less spring pressure required and less strain or resistance on the cam shaft. Just my thoughts

When this kind of thing happen, I would try to make the Ferrea valve work more like the other valve in a sense. I suspect the valve job is what's doing this.
Bowl %, throat, valve job (either biased or not), and chamber transition play a huge role in getting a fast port to play nice on a flow bench. From what I've seen on sb mopars, there is a point you don't want to go over on air speed...and it's higher than I use for other heads. And it seems to work. But once you go over that fps speed, power will suffer! So be careful!! I don't like the .100 and .200 flow numbers on the Liberty valve FWIW....Totally agree, Imagine what the flow rates are backwards.
J.Rob

Bowl %, throat, valve job (either biased or not), and chamber transition play a huge role in getting a fast port to play nice on a flow bench. From what I've seen on sb mopars, there is a point you don't want to go over on air speed...and it's higher than I use for other heads. And it seems to work. But once you go over that fps speed, power will suffer! So be careful!! I don't like the .100 and .200 flow numbers on the Liberty valve FWIW....
Why do you not like the .100 and .200 numbers?

Bowl %, throat, valve job (either biased or not), and chamber transition play a huge role in getting a fast port to play nice on a flow bench. From what I've seen on sb mopars, there is a point you don't want to go over on air speed...and it's higher than I use for other heads. And it seems to work. But once you go over that fps speed, power will suffer! So be careful!! I don't like the .100 and .200 flow numbers on the Liberty valve FWIW....Totally agree, Imagine what the flow rates are backwards.

I wanted to check out your numbers and was shocked to see you don’t have them listed on your website. Hmmmm shocker.

IMMENGINES.COM

I wanted to check out your numbers and was shocked to see you don’t have them listed on your website. Hmmmm shocker.

IMMENGINES.COM
I port per application, so they're never the same most of the time. I can post some sheets if you want, won't tell much since I don't correspond the flow numbers with fps numbers on the same sheet but I can still post a few if you'd like. I don't think you do anything wrong with your porting so not sure it'll mean much...?!

The only thing different is the valve so the more I think about it because I’m limited in what I do to the chamber. I don’t want to lose the customers compression and trying to keep my pricing down for the average customer when I get time I’m going to play with the top angle and the backcut on the valve. One or the other would let me tune the head to the customer more for those choosing to run the Liberty valves. For most guys the low lift numbers will play well with their combos. But for those wanting higher lift numbers and cheaper valve options the answer is out there. I’m just running out of time and energy to test like I’d like to. Most guys that still port heads and do machine work quite racing years ago. I’m not going down that road.

IMMENGINES.COM
I saw this in another member’s for sale add, FWIW:
1694823726434.png

[FOR SALE] - Ported Speedmaster heads

Last edited:
The only thing different is the valve so the more I think about it because I’m limited in what I do to the chamber. I don’t want to lose the customers compression and trying to keep my pricing down for the average customer when I get time I’m going to play with the top angle and the backcut on the valve. One or the other would let me tune the head to the customer more for those choosing to run the Liberty valves. For most guys the low lift numbers will play well with their combos. But for those wanting higher lift numbers and cheaper valve options the answer is out there. I’m just running out of time and energy to test like I’d like to. Most guys that still port heads and do machine work quite racing years ago. I’m not going down that road.
Thank u John for all u do for this site. You’re a great wealth of information. We couldn’t do with out u! Keep on keeping on. Kim

Ok a small update

And nothing but good news. All I am going to say is I reworked the chamber at a minimal amount of lost volume. I lost 2 cfm at one lift point and everywhere else I saw a gain. Remember at .600 lift it was done with the Liberty valve.

New numbers from .600 lift with the Liberty valve.

.600——-302
.625——-305
.650——-304
.675——-305
.700——-304-311

With a digital bench you will see the slightest turbulence way before a fluid manometer. I think this is going to be a killer set of heads and I can’t wait till I finish my set so I can test a Liberty 2.08 valve in it.

5496E74E-501C-4EB0-91BF-5F3DF9EA4A00.jpeg

A501C069-66E2-4FB4-A9FF-C32BE3F27802.jpeg

That’s good news. Do u think the CNC’d Speedmasters can be improved upon or is it not worth the time and money to do so. I realize that u have probably never flow tested a set yet. Idk the numbers off hand. Thanks. Kim

That’s good news. Do u think the CNC’d Speedmasters can be improved upon or is it not worth the time and money to do so. I realize that u have probably never flow tested a set yet. Idk the numbers off hand. Thanks. Kim

I have never flowed a set but 288-290 is possible hand porting them.

Thats some awesome work, Thanks John for sharing all your expertise with everyone here on A bodies.

I've been looking g at LA head options for years, I think the best bang for the buck is Trick Flows with the matching manifold or a Super Victor

For making bigger than normal HP gains? Yep.
The Edelbrock RPM package is also very good. Just not as much power.

I am pretty sure this was covered in another thread but I do not recall which one. Check them out in the links of the thread below. If I remember correctly, the throat of the CNC small block Speedmaster heads was larger than it should be for the 2.02" intake valve they come with, and not shaped for optimal performance either. The best route is probably to have a real shop work up a set of bare heads to suit the intended use, starting with non-ported bare castings.

Speedmaster head thread index

-
Back