speedo cable leak question

-

2kids

Reaction score
What do I need to do to fix a small leak coming out of here? Is there an o-ring on this thing?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20131017_104937 (640x480).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 150
I think there is an O'ring....make sure it's cleaned up before removal....you don't want any crap getting in when removing it.

Are you sure that is where the trans is leaking ? most of the time it is from the kick down valve, and yes clean and remove all the crud and take the 0 ring seal with you to a NAPA or a good auto parts and get a new one, I believe they do have a o ring seal in under the speed o

Oop's that looks like a standard shift... my bad

There's actually 2 seals on the speedo cable housing, one on the inside and an o-ring on the outside.

Looks like the picture below. You can buy a kit that includes both of them.

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJHEE9ny2sYlJBQifHqeeQg~~60_3.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 122
There's actually 2 seals on the speedo cable housing, one on the inside and an o-ring on the outside.

Looks like the picture below. You can buy a kit that includes both of them.

The inside one is needed when your speedo fills up with oil, and drips oil on your foot when driving.....LOL....had it happen to me years ago.

Since we are talking about leaks, How much work is it to change the seals for the kick down and the I need to change the speedo gears since I changed my gears in the rear end from a 2.76 to a 3.32.
Thanks

Speedo is pretty simple, just pops out. Just the retainer with one bolt holding it as pictured above. Not much to the kickdown seals, but like the speedo there is an inner and outer. I did mine with everything dissasembled. Probably need to drop pan and valve body to do in car. but not sure. Outer is a reg oil seal you'll need to tap in, so may be tough to do with trans installed.

Speedo is pretty simple, just pops out. Just the retainer with one bolt holding it as pictured above. Not much to the kickdown seals, but like the speedo there is an inner and outer. I did mine with everything dissasembled. Probably need to drop pan and valve body to do in car. but not sure. Outer is a reg oil seal you'll need to tap in, so may be tough to do with trans installed.

That's right, there is one in the case and one in the linkage shaft of the valve body under the C clip and washer.
The valve body does have to come out if the trans is in the car, and it isn't very easy to do unless you know what you need to do it.
To seat the new seal in the case from underneath you have to have a way of pulling it down from the top.
A slide hammer with a washer on the end works pretty good.

-
Back