speedo cable problems

-

Operator23

Sevare Vitas
Reaction score
have a 67 barracuda with 904 transmission. Speedo has not worked since i bought the car. When I unscrewed the cable at the tranny there was no actual cable running into speedo gear housing?
Recently bought a new cable and tried to intstall it but it did not work... It was difficult to insert at both the speedo and it felt like i almost had to jam it in the speedo gear housing to insert it. When I took it for a test drive I still did not have any speedo reading? When i pulled it from the housing it looked like it had broken/sheared off in the housing... Any idea what i am doing wrong? Any thoughts or advice are welcome. Thanks.

Does the speedo input socket spin? Check to see if it is locked up. Did you buy a new cable and jacket or cable then inserted into the old jacket? Could have a kink or bad spot in jacket. If it is an old jacket is the inner lubed up, especially if it has been sitting for a while. Also check you pinion gear at the tranny. Is it broken or not properly set for the correct engagment? I ended up buying a repo cable and jacket off of fleabay, seem like an easy way to resolve speedo cable issues. Good luck.
Andy

did you orient the inner strand of he cable when you inserted it into the trans and speedo?

The tips are ground to be a square shape, and must match with the trans and speedo when you install it, or it will jam and not engage properly.

Try to clock/orient the flats on the cable to the trans and speedo...

-
Back