Speedo cable replacement?

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
Will the transmission drain the oil when I remove the bolt, retainer and adapter out of the transmission before I disconnect the speedo cable from the adapter?

Thanks all.

It wont drain the fluid but will lose some from the hole. Are you replacing? If so I would suggest haveing the new one ready, as you get the old out the way put new one right on.

Jack up driver side only so the fluid moves to the other side of the pan. you will have some run out but it should be minimal.

Well, I guess if you have a lift. I don't so that wasn't a consideration in my response, LOL. If you have a lift by all means, you still aren't going to lose a lot of fluid, and like said above, just have the other one ready.

If you don't have a lift then yes just jack up the one side and secure the car properly. It's easily accessible, at least on my car it was.

Just Curious! Are you changing the cable because of a problem?? If So, 9 out of 10 times the problem is in the Speedometer itself. I Love this Dupont stuff that sprays into a cable like a liquid then conforms to grease. It's called Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax lubricant. I shoot some into the cable and it gets rid of Squeeks and binding etc...

If the vehicle in question is the one in your avatar, there is no need to break into the oiling system of the transmission. The cable unthreads from the outside of the gear housing. If it's a '65 or older car, then yeah, you're going to lose some fluid. Jacking the rear of the car high in the air and to the right side will help. Like OwdKasd mentioned, it's usually the speedo head that freezes up and snaps the cable so make sure it turns.

I have oil leaking at the speedo cable to the transmission. Should I pull the speedo pinion and adapter and replace the oil seal and O ring?

Also, I'm thinking of replacing the pinion while I got it off. Is the factory correct size 26, 27 or 32 teeth? I have the factory size 14 in wheels.

Thx

I have oil leaking at the speedo cable to the transmission. Should I pull the speedo pinion and adapter and replace the oil seal and O ring?

I would as long as your there. It is easily done though later if need be.
Here is what your dealing with.

Attachments

• TF speedo housing and seals.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 181
Also, I'm thinking of replacing the pinion while I got it off. Is the factory correct size 26, 27 or 32 teeth? I have the factory size 14 in wheels.

Thx

It depends on two things, gearing and tire size.

See here:

Attachments

• speedo 002 (Medium).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 190
If you change the speedo gear, be sure and line up the correct numbers at the 6 o'clock position as seen in the housing breakdown. If it's not clocked correctly it won't read accurately.

Mine is currently set at 26 - 32. With that I assume I can use the the 26, 27 or 32 tooth pinion.

Yes, either of those numbers will work in that position, BUT you need to reference the chart or look at what you have in the trans already. It will be specific to tire size and gearing.

Look at the chart and notice the difference in either tire size OR gearing, with each of those numbers.

You use whatever gear the chart shows as being correct. Depending on the teeth count, you rotate the adaptor to line up with the number range needed to engage the gears.

How many of us have pulled something like this apart and did not have a pan handy.....just in case????

Should I assume pulling the adapter will drain the tranny?
Some fluid will drain out but not the whole transmission. If you find you need a different gear, post it here as I have quite a few and I'm sure others do too.

Some fluid will drain out but not the whole transmission. If you find you need a different gear, post it here as I have quite a few and I'm sure others do too.

Where were you when I was looking for one, LOL.

-
Back