Speedo gauge: Miles per hour vs. Kilometers

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the speedo gauges (besides numbers) if it is MPH or KPH? Is it just the decal or lettering or is the gauge calibrated different? The dash is a rallye dash from a 70 b-body if that matters, Thanks!

Just a total guess here Keith, but I would think it has nothing to do with calibrating. Up here our modern gauges have both mph and kmh on them. 10 mph=16 kmh so its simply in how it is decalled.

should be the gauge is calibrated different that or a different speedo at least.

Yup, but this is a 1970 cluster with only KPH on it

Attachments

• Picture 3587.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Picture 3590.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 143
Hmm,thats odd,cause Canada switched to metric in the late 70,s.Maybe the car was a European model??
Take it apart and change the K to a M LOL

Looks like the odometer must be in Kms too which is cool, I have a 1970 New Zealand spec instrument cluster I haven't put in a car. It just had a KPH decal stuck over the miles, and the odometer is still in miles. :dontknow:

I would think the speedo mechanism would be the same but the odometer portion would be geared differently. All it would take for the speedometer would be a different decal. I remember when vehicles here had both on them (Maybe the cheaper ones still do?). On Smokey and The Bandit, remember when Sally Fields looked at the speedo & asked if they were really going 100? If you looked at it, she was referring to the KPH section. The MPH was about 62.

-
Back