speedo

-

kelh2o44

Reaction score
Well I fix one issue and develop another one. I replaced the speedo cable and it still doesnt work. Pulled the cable from the dash and it is not spinning from the tranny. Thinking it may be the gear that fits into the tranney or ?????? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Kel

If the cable is good and connected on both ends; it would probably be the gear then. I dont remember anything else in the system that could cause it. But I could always be wrong. Maybe something in the cluster could be bad? It should be easy to pull the gear and see if it is worn. Hopefully gear and not in the cluster.

I have heard if you don't clock the gear retainer correctly, it won't work. I'm not an expert in this, so someone may need to speak up, but my understanding is that the position or the gear retainer in the tranny is based on the number of teeth the gear has.

I have heard if you don't clock the gear retainer correctly, it won't work. I'm not an expert in this, so someone may need to speak up, but my understanding is that the position or the gear retainer in the tranny is based on the number of teeth the gear has.

Yeah, that's it.

Yup, if the cable is good and the correct length, the problem has to be in the gear or adjustment of the gear adapter housing. There are numbers on the housing that need to correspond to the number of teeth on the gear. The housing can mount in 4 different positions to accomplish this. Once you pull them out of the transmission, you will be able to see how it works. There is just one bolt that hold a fork type retainer over the gear housing. Remove that and the housing will just pull out with the gear. There will be some fluid that will come out when you do this so get the back end of the car up in the air as much as you can, safely, and have a drain pan ready.

-
Back