Speedometer Cable Won't Disconnect From Back of Gauge

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I am trying to chase down an ongoing issue with noise in my speedometer. However, when I tried to disconnect the speedometer cable from the back of the gauge, the cable seemed to be hung up on something and would not just pull out. Any idea what the cable could hang up on preventing its removal from the back of the gauge?

You might have fixed it trying to get the cable off.:D
It happens.

You might have fixed it trying to get the cable off.:D
It happens.

I wish that was the case, but I know its not. The reason I need to unplug it is because the speedometer is making a helluva racket. May have to have the speedometer rebuilt, if the cable (which is brand new) is not the issue.

I wish that was the case, but I know its not. The reason I need to unplug it is because the speedometer is making a helluva racket. May have to have the speedometer rebuilt, if the cable (which is brand new) is not the issue.

Bummer.

Since the entire cable can be removed from the sheathe pulling at this end... the sheathe should pull back/away leaving the cable stuck in the instrument if it is stuck.

Since the entire cable can be removed from the sheathe pulling at this end... the sheathe should pull back/away leaving the cable stuck in the instrument if it is stuck.

This is exactly what happened when I tried to disconnect it. The sheath did pull back but the cable remained stuck in the back of the speedometer.

So the square port in the instrument, They wear to a weird warped star shape. Hold the little bronze collar on the inst' with one tool, hold the cable with another, counterclockwise twist ( opposite the drive direction ) and pull. Good luck

-
Back