Speedometer Flutter

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
My speedo flutters and makes a ticking sound. I was thinking about disconnecting the cable from the back and shooting in some liquid graphite but I'm worried the black spray from the graphite might come through the backside and stain the face of my speedometer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

powdered graphite for locks, shoot it down empty speedo cable end and tap it down. It will not migrate out. Id pull cable out too and give it a good wipe down with WD-40, careful of wire shards. you dont want it gooey in there. If its ticking I bet you got a wild hair in there.

powdered graphite for locks, shoot it down empty speedo cable end and tap it down. It will not migrate out. Id pull cable out too and give it a good wipe down with WD-40, careful of wire shards. you dont want it gooey in there. If its ticking I bet you got a wild hair in there.

So I should disconnect the speedo cable at the back of the speedometer and squeeze powdered graphite down that end of the cable and not in the back of the speedometer.....correct? Just want to make sure I'm reading your response right.

take it off. they get burrs on the the cable. you lube it from plastic end

Pull the end off of the speedo itself and you can pull the core all the way out. That is a far better way to lube it and inspect it. When you reinstall, pull both ends to make sure the square end of the core inserts and mates well with the speedo and speedo gear.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I don't think we need another speedo question on the forum; lol
I'm having the same issue. Here's my background: New cable, lubed before installation.
Speedo bench tested with drill before installation, no jumping and flutter.
The new cable was a 62" and that was replacing a 63" that came out.
I'm thinking I may have too sharp a bend in the cable. It comes through the firewall loops down to the tranny. The "loop" does not go past the edge of the master cylinder.
any thoughts?

1970 Plymouth Valiant. 318. I believe it's a 904. Not sure, though. I have not taken a close look, but the PO said it used to be behind a 360.
thanks

-
Back