Speedometer gear delete

-

coair73x

Reaction score
I am looking to just remove the speedometer gear and need a cap to put over the speedometer gear housing. Anybody do this?

If you want it all nice and clean cut the speedo cable part off flush and JB weld the center hole up.
OR, thread the hole where the gear shaft went through and put a plug in it.

Or use a expansion plug the size of the hole in the tail shaft.

Problem with that is anybody than you ran over would see that ugly thing. :D
(old joke between my Bother and I about underside mods.:D)

Because if you don't have the speedo cable connected there is a big hole there.
That's funny!
I can unscrew my cable and drive with it disconnected no problem.
But of course my adapter has a gear on the other side.
Hence why I said if it's not leaking.

I'm guessing now that the gear is missing, or has been, or will be, removed. In which case I would just fill the hole from the inside with whatever fits.It's not like there's any pressure to deal with.
But if you wanna cap it from the outside, I guess that would be an option too, so long as it doesn't fall off or melt.It's just another step.
I mean if you are already taking the gear out, then you have the car all jacked up and heeled over, so.......
But if the gear is still in there, and it's not leaking, I would just do nothing at all.I'm just lazy like that.

I will bring the housing to a few places and see if I can find a cap. I thought someone made a housing delete option. I can still run the speedo but its going to be off.

I dunno AJ/FormS, even with the cable connected mine likes to leak some fluid at the cable. I figure without the cable at all it would be a real mess.

I dunno AJ/FormS, even with the cable connected mine likes to leak some fluid at the cable. I figure without the cable at all it would be a real mess.
The cable shouldn't make a difference. If it's leaking the seals are bad and will leak with the cable installed just the same

-
Back