Speedometer help

-

Derileek

Reaction score
Alright my speedometer seems to be consistently 10mph too high. When sitting still it reads 10mph, when going 45mph it reads 55mph. Is there any way to set it back to read normal? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

You need to change the nylon gear in the transmission to one with a different number of teeth. There are charts based on rear end gear to get your close. Is your speedomenter original? Have you updated your rear gears? Has it always been like this? What gear are you running?

Whoops... just read that at 0 it reads 10... It shouldn't. Sounds like a speedo problem. May be worth pulling out and cleaning/inspecting what is going on. It would be a good time to clean up/replace your cable too.

You didn't say what you're working on but in most of them,
The needle is just pushed onto the stem. Remove the speedo so you can hold the round part on the inside. Rotate it away from its stop and hold it there. Rotate the needle a little at a time until the inner part lands on its stop and the needle is pointing at zero at the same time.

1968 Dodge Dart, all stock, automatic.
This is my daily driver, can this be done without taking out the cluster, b/c I'm lazy, and I'm going to replace it eventually anyway.

I gotta tell ya. It's just about as easy, and cheaper to use a GPS. I bought a used one off Craigs for less than 40. Gives me a trip OD and speed.

can this be done without taking out the cluster, b/c I'm lazy, and I'm going to replace it eventually anyway.

Ha!! Honesty on a car forum, how unique!

No, the cluster has to come out and then be dis-assembled. I'm replacing the speedo in my 67 now, and it's no fun. I got the old one out and a new cluster has been attained, but I just can't work up the want too to get back under the dash and re-assemble.

Good luck.

-
Back