Speedometer Help

-

Ted Wood

Reaction score
So this morning I took off from a red light in my 72 Swinger and heard a pop in my dash...now when the car gets up to 30 mph or so, the speedometer starts grinding and it gets louder and louder the faster I go. I've never been in that part of the dash so what's the fix? A new speedo cable/gear? Thanks.

Might be the cable, might be the speedo. Only one way to find out. If you just replace the cable but don't check the speedo, you might be throwing good money after bad. Or it might be fine.

Be aware the lower priced speedo cables are way too long but you can run them further toward the tailshaft and then back around to the hookup at the transmission. Or at least I could, in my 71 Duster. The one I took out was about 64 inches, the one I put in is 80.

You had better WASTE NO TIME get the car in the air and unscrew the cable at the trans until you get it fixed

Inspect the cable both under the car and behind the cluster. If OK, remember that there is an inner and an outer part. Your problem is probably the inner cable or the head. Disconnect from the back of the cluster and remove the inner cable. Is it obviously broken? Put drive end of cable in a vise and check cable "wrap". Is it bad? A local speedo shop can make you a correct new one. After dealing with inner cable, then we suspect the head.

-
Back