Speedometer is crazy

-

Jonny Shark

Banned
Reaction score
Someone can help me figure out what`s wrong with my speedometer? I have no idea about my speed when I`m driving my Duster, the pointer is crazy and jump from 10 mph to 70mph without stop....back in forth..... back in forth... all the time.... I don`t know if I have to change the cable, or if there is some kind of sensor broken..

Thanks

Jhonny

Cable is most likely kinked, bent and/or needs to be lubed up properly. I would start by inspecting that first.

This often happens when the speedo cable core binds a bit, then releases, and does that over and over. Pull the core out of the cable sheath... it pulls out from the top IF I recall right. Inspect it for frays, kinks, etc. If OK, then find some light moly based grease; moly cam lube works really well. Very often a good clean and lube of the core is all that is needed.

If the core is frayed/broke/kinked, then you can find kits around to make a new one. If the sheath is in good shape, a new core will do it. Just make sure the new core length is the exact same as the old one.

One other possiblity is that the square 'socket's in the speedo itself or the speedo gear on the trannie has become rounded out. So remove the cable from both ends and inspect the socket in the speedo and gear (where the core inserts at each end) to be sure both ends are still square and have not turned out to a round shape.

If all good in the cable, then proceed to the speedo itself....BTW the speedo is all mechanical, not electrical like in new cars, so no sensor is involved.

Thanks so much MobileCustoms, Rocky_JS and nm9stheham , for the ideas and explanation about this particular item.

Now I feel more confortable to make some tests to try solve this puzzle !! I`ll let you guys know the result.

My 15 year old Mopar son and I just repaired this exact same symptom on his 75 Dart, after cleaning the cable and cable housing the problem persisted. We resorted to removing the instrument cluster, took it apart and found the round interface magnet (?) hitting the odometer numbers, you could feel about two light bumps per revolution when spun with a small screwdriver, we pushed the interface magnet away from the odometer and heard a slight click as though we snapped it back into position, shot a little wd40 in there as well and now it works flawlessly, replaced lamp sockets and lamps while we were in there, got those from NAPA auto-parts. If cleaning the cable doesn't work you may have to take the speed o apart, not difficult at all.
:banghead:

I had the same experience as you in my dart it would also say I was doing 110 when I was doing 65.... I took out the dash unplugged the cable from the speedometer and lubed it with graphite and a lot of it. that cleared that problem right up.

In my 65 Newport, the cable had broken, but the real culprit was the spinning magnet in the speedometer had a wobbly bore, letting it grab the stationary aluminum cup. A speedo shop installed a bronze bushing and stable ever since. Had the same issue in my 82 Aries, but that one had plastic parts that had cracked.

-
Back