Speedometer issues

-

Futzy1

Reaction score
So for quite some time I had a jumpy, loud, rattling, speedo. Having finally looked into it o was convinced/dreading that I totally blew the thing up, but low and behold I gave the cable a lube job anyways and it solved almost all my problems. I say almost, because now my speedo is a constant 12 mph high. 12 @ 0, 52 @ 40, etc. It also seems (and this could just be my perception) that it isnt falling accurately.

I was just going to disconnect the cable and see about turning it down by hand, but I REALLY dont want to incur the cost of replacing or rebuilding it, so I figured I'd ask you guys

Thanks as always,
Futzy

So for quite some time I had a jumpy, loud, rattling, speedo. Having finally looked into it o was convinced/dreading that I totally blew the thing up, but low and behold I gave the cable a lube job anyways and it solved almost all my problems. I say almost, because now my speedo is a constant 12 mph high. 12 @ 0, 52 @ 40, etc. It also seems (and this could just be my perception) that it isnt falling accurately.

I was just going to disconnect the cable and see about turning it down by hand, but I REALLY dont want to incur the cost of replacing or rebuilding it, so I figured I'd ask you guys

Thanks as always,
Futzy

If it's stable now and you are happy with how it works you could get a larger gear for it to slow it down.
Otherwise, most of these old speedo's have a calibration adjustment on them.
You do have to take the speedo head out of the cluster to do it though.

Is that to get it back to zero, or just get it to fall correctly?

Side note, I've been looking unsuccessfully for a diagram of some sort. Any idea where I might find one?

A nother fabo member pulled his dash and after putting it back in found the speedo needle qould not go above a biut 15mph. Turns out the needle got bumped infront of thetop of the inside of the speedo and once he got it back behind everything worked fine. Ill look for the post he had a photo of it

Found the photo. Its hard to tell but needle is infront of the top where the numbers are. It should be behind where the numbers are
BD66AFE7-263E-4646-B4C5-51CDEA6B26C4.jpeg

Not sure if that applies to mine. I have the taller rectangle non rally dash

hqdefault.jpg

(Just a photo from the net)

The speedo head needs to be removed. You might be able to lube it yourself and free it up. You can't do it in the car.

I am having the exact OPPOSITE problem.....have two speedos out of the car....and they are locked up. took an old speedo cable and used it to test them, they were noisy then they locked up. Does anyone know how to lube them or can tell me how to fix these?

-
Back