Speedometer Lube?

-

66moparrerun

Reaction score
The speedometer dial on my 66 Barracuda is bouncing back and forth> I have been told that this an indication that it needs to be lubed. Is that correct? Also. do you lube it under the dash or under the car> What type of lubricant works best. Thanks, 66moparrerun

A dry film lube is what is used.
take out the cable in full, then take the wire (actual cable) out from the plastic sleeve and spray it down, not to heavy. Reinstall in sleave, reinstall in car.

Usually, when the needle is boucing, the input shaft-to-housing clearence is too loose causing the spinning magnet to hit the shell. Sometimes if you lube the shaft with a heavy oil (like 90w) or some spray grease (my 1st choice) you can get down the road for a while but eventually, you'll need to get the speedo shaft rebushed. The cable will usually work or is broken. If it's failing and hanging up, causing the needle bounce, the cable is frayed and needs to be replaced. Lubing it won't help much once it's frayed.

Usually, when the needle is boucing, the input shaft-to-housing clearence is too loose causing the spinning magnet to hit the shell. Sometimes if you lube the shaft with a heavy oil (like 90w) or some spray grease (my 1st choice) you can get down the road for a while but eventually, you'll need to get the speedo shaft rebushed. The cable will usually work or is broken. If it's failing and hanging up, causing the needle bounce, the cable is frayed and needs to be replaced. Lubing it won't help much once it's frayed.

Thanks for the information. Steve

I use 3 in 1 oil on the speedometer head. Early units had a oil hole at the input shaft.
There is a curve in the cable sheathe under the drivers seat. If the sheathe is worn or damaged inside , no amount of lube will cure it.

-
Back