Speedometer not working

-

74 dart sport

Kameron
Reaction score
In our 74 dart sport, the speedometer and temperature gauge are not working. The two gauges do not move at all. However , when the headlight switch is pulled out, the speedometer jumps to around 7 mph and then drops . Any help?

In our 74 dart sport, the speedometer and temperature gauge are not working. The two gauges do not move at all. However , when the headlight switch is pulled out, the speedometer jumps to around 7 mph and then drops . Any help?

That sounds interesting.

My speedometer jumps when I bang on the dash or release the parking brake suddenly. I'd guess your needle is working but the cable is not connected. The temperature gauge problem is probably unrelated.

One end of speedo cable attached at left side of trans. Other end attached to back of the instrument. Cable may be broken.

Ok, thanks. Does the cable have a white plastic end on the side that attaches to the speedo? If so, it might be diconnected from the tranny, since the tranny is new

Here's what mine looked like when I got the car. Needless to say, my speedo didn't work at the time.

speedometer_disconnected.jpg

Yep inst' end has a white plastic connector with a clip.

-
Back