Spi waterbourne WG remover ?

-

Dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Ok so per the SPI special instructions I ordered my WG remover today. 43$ a gallon cheap insurance for "the perfect paint job" so I was reading over on the SPI forum that it is a alcohol based product. The curiosity in me started turning... could you just use regular alcohol ? Rubbing alcohol is 4 dollars a quart so 16 a gallon. Would it do the same thing?

@Jim Kueneman uses more SPI product than anyone here, so he might be the go to guy. I have both versions of their W&G remover. I use the waterborne first and the solvent based second, per SPI recommendations. I haven't had a fish eye yet.....knock on wood! If you decide to try using alcohol, I'd try it on a scrap fender, door, or something you have laying around. I'd be more inclined to try denatured alcohol vs rubbing alcohol. Look on You Tube and watch some of the Paint Society videos. Bryan is a great painter and a good teacher!

@Jim Kueneman uses more SPI product than anyone here, so he might be the go to guy. I have both versions of their W&G remover. I use the waterborne first and the solvent based second, per SPI recommendations. I haven't had a fish eye yet.....knock on wood! If you decide to try using alcohol, I'd try it on a scrap fender, door, or something you have laying around. I'd be more inclined to try denatured alcohol vs rubbing alcohol. Look on You Tube and watch some of the Paint Society videos. Bryan is a great painter and a good teacher!
I was thinking denatured alcohol also! I can get that stuff at work for free. Lol we have 55 gal drums of it. From what I've read the 700 is for bare metal and the 710 (solvent is for primer) so yea it's second.

Also I'm not going to try it on the dart I was just curious. I have way too much invested in epoxy, filler, base and clear to try and save 43 buck! Lol I'm just curious! Like in a pinch could alcohol work sorta thing!

Find you something to try it on before wiping it on your car. Shine you off a place with that fancy schmancy new DA, wipe it down a few times and shoot a coat of primer on the spot and see what happens. It may just work!

Find you something to try it on before wiping it on your car. Shine you off a place with that fancy schmancy new DA, wipe it down a few times and shoot a coat of primer on the spot and see what happens. It may just work!
Might be a viable option for the d100 paint job lol. It's gonna be a low buck paint job. Which is exactly what I said about the dart 6 years ago! Haha

The 700 waterborne is for bare metal and initial epoxy application only. Once you are wiping down for any other reason you must use 710.

Jim

I personally would not. I believe Barry was ok with windex and Sprayway glass cleaner (ammonia free) but the bond to the metal is the most important bond. I would not experiment there.

I personally would not. I believe Barry was ok with windex and Sprayway glass cleaner (ammonia free) but the bond to the metal is the most important bond. I would not experiment there.
Thanks Jim! I'm not going to I was just wondering.

Are you a member of the SPI forum? You should be. Very smart and helpful people there. Not so much the Facebook page, only the forum on the website.
Im not a member but I do read it alot! I just have never joined I considered it but I already spend to much time on my phone here haha

-
Back