Spindle bearing spacer

-
The moment they said it improves anything "1200%" should be a giant red flag. What did they measure to get that number? I don't care what it is, if it was a 1,200% improvement the product would be adopted by the major manufacturers. Think about it. If it reduced drag that much, it would improve fuel economy. Much less effective and more expensive systems have been designed for smaller benefit than that. Is EFI a 1,200% improvement vs a carburetor? No, it is not. And yet...

You're just betting that the machining on the bearing spacer is significantly better than the machining of your hubs and the location of the bearing races. For a 1200% improvement those hubs would have to be really poorly machined.

I mean seriously, they started talking about drag from the wheel bearing seals. First, that has to be a tiny fraction of a percent of rolling resistance. Second, if you loosen up the wheel bearing seals, guess what you're gonna get? Greasy. Might all of this make some tiny improvement in rolling resistance? Maybe. Doubtful, but maybe. But even if that means you can push the car easier, just remember, you're not even 1 hp.

A 10% improvement would be massive. 1200% is bullshit.
They had a display set up at PRI in Indy. If you gave it a spin i'm pretty sure an hour later it would still be spinning. If 1200% is measured by comparing the number of revolutions I can believe it. How many places behind the decimal is that in hp or MPG? I don't know but I would guess a lot. One thing for sure is it takes a lot longer to set up initially than a conventional set up. However it is somewhat rewarding watching how freely it spins when your done. Even if it is .0000001 HP.

And that’s the thing you have to ask yourself when you see stuff like that. How many places behind the decimal point is it in hp or mpg is it? What does it actually DO? Because a 1200% increase in “wheel spin” is basically meaningless, that’s marketing BS. And if that’s the claim they’re making, you can bet it doesn’t do much.

Because if it freed up 5 hp they would say that. If it added 1/2 a mile per gallon they’d say that. But we get “wheel spinning” as the “measurement” for improvement. So, that means it doesn’t do much of anything.

And if you’ve set wheel bearing pre-load then you know that a little difference there can make a pretty significant difference in how easily the rotor spins. But there’s a spec for pre-load, and it’s not based on how many turns the rotor will spin. It’s on end play, which is what’s actually important for the bearing.

Thing is, tapered roller bearings are designed to run with preload. This spacer removes the preload. Yall go ahead and run it. I'm good with my stuff like it is.

Thing is, tapered roller bearings are designed to run with preload. This spacer removes the preload. Yall go ahead and run it. I'm good with my stuff like it is.
The bearings still have preload on them with the spacer when set up according to the instructions.

The moment they said it improves anything "1200%" should be a giant red flag. What did they measure to get that number? I don't care what it is, if it was a 1,200% improvement the product would be adopted by the major manufacturers. Think about it. If it reduced drag that much, it would improve fuel economy. Much less effective and more expensive systems have been designed for smaller benefit than that. Is EFI a 1,200% improvement vs a carburetor? No, it is not. And yet...

You're just betting that the machining on the bearing spacer is significantly better than the machining of your hubs and the location of the bearing races. For a 1200% improvement those hubs would have to be really poorly machined.

I mean seriously, they started talking about drag from the wheel bearing seals. First, that has to be a tiny fraction of a percent of rolling resistance. Second, if you loosen up the wheel bearing seals, guess what you're gonna get? Greasy. Might all of this make some tiny improvement in rolling resistance? Maybe. Doubtful, but maybe. But even if that means you can push the car easier, just remember, you're not even 1 hp.

A 10% improvement would be massive. 1200% is bullshit.
This product is surely not intended for a daily driver. In racing improvements are often fractional. Especially in classes with a lot of restrictions. How do you make 1 hp in a restricted engine? 1/10 of a hp at a time.

They had a display set up at PRI in Indy. If you gave it a spin i'm pretty sure an hour later it would still be spinning. If 1200% is measured by comparing the number of revolutions I can believe it. How many places behind the decimal is that in hp or MPG? I don't know but I would guess a lot. One thing for sure is it takes a lot longer to set up initially than a conventional set up. However it is somewhat rewarding watching how freely it spins when your done. Even if it is .0000001 HP.

Seems like a simple but time consuming (once) way to really dial in your preload and get it exactly where you want it. There's some neat products at PRI.

For those who don't know what PRI stands for:
PEFORMANCE
RACING
INDUSTRY
It's not a local parts store convention.

Racers have and do run low friction wheel bearings. Coatings, special greases, low friction seals, sometimes even oil instead of grease (works great). These are racers looking to win races and championships. They maintain and rebuild there stuff nearly every race if that's what it takes.

I also believe these spacers can be used in situations were the available spindle nut cage cotter key slots choices are not giving you an optimum preload. IE: one slot too loose, next too tight. Some people try different spindle nuts, spindle nut cages to get the preload they like.

-
Back