Spindle ID

-

Mojack

Reaction score
I've got a couple of spindles that I picked out of someone's dead pile. But I don't know if they can be identified, maybe from dimensions. I tried to find a casting number but I can't find one. They are 10 7/8 rotors and of course big bolt pattern. They have a lower steering arm with a tapered hole that receives the ball joint taper. B body....truck? Any ideas or telling dimensions?

20230609_210014.jpg

20230609_205942.jpg

20230603_213019.jpg

Here's my .02 cents, and thinking on your question.
Since you have "pin type calipers" and the spindles are a inner small bearing, on the shaft diameter, and the ball joint mount, that bolts to the spindle, they appear to be 69-72 "C" body brakes.
They definitely aren't "B" body brakes, of A, or E body brakes, either.

I just found the bearing id online, they're the bigger 1.375 dia. I found the casting number but they're so faint and with rust degradation they're unreadable. :(

The rotor size and that style of lower ball joint together make it a '73-later B/F/M/J tall spindle. The center to center distance between the lower ball joint holes for C bodies is close to 4-5/8" and for all others is typically around 4-5/16"

Ok, I just measured and it's 4-5/16 so you guys have figured it out. So they are usable then! Thanks guys!

Well, let me Edit post #2 if i may.
I had these pictures in my other computers files.
To help out further in this question and answer, the op spindles aren't C body ones like i thought.
And they also aren't F body, Aspen & Volare spindles either.
In the first picture, Aspen & Volare spindles are on the left, and A body, 73-76 spindles, on the right.
And the other pictures are what C body spindles look like, just for reference.
Hope it further helps out, here.

Spindles F & A Body.png

Spindles Disc Brake C Body.JPG

Spindle Comparion..jpg

Spindle Height Compared.jpg

Last edited:
To help out further in this question and answer, the op spindles aren't C body ones like i thought.
In the first picture, Aspen & Volare spindles and on the left, and A body, 73-76 spindles, on the right.

View attachment 1716100873

View attachment 1716100875

View attachment 1716100876
The early tall spindles ('73-4 or so B-body) look like a '73-later B/E spindle in the area where the caliper bracket bolts on but they are dimensionally the same a F/M/J spindles otherwise.

Those look like F-M-J body lower steering arms.

But I'm not familiar with the lower steering arms (if any) on a 73-up B-body)

73+ B-body. The lower ball joints thread into the redesigned LCA’s and the steering arms are a separate, non-wearing part that receives the taper.

Firm Feel used to convert those LCA’s for use on A/B/E bodies because of their profile. They add almost 2” of suspension travel vs stock, so even double what the old QA1 style LCA’s added before they redesigned them with bump stops. The hard part is the steering arms are not reproduced, so you have to find originals. And make a conversion to mount the strut rods because those had 2 bolts that held the strut rod to the LCA.

Is 73-up B-body any different than F/M/J ?

Are the spindles the same, but steering arm different ??

Is 73-up B-body any different than F/M/J ?

Are the spindles the same, but steering arm different ??
The spindle and steering arm are both the same. The ball joint presses into the lower control arm on all F/M/J bodies and on '73-later B bodies.

The spindle and steering arm are both the same. The ball joint presses into the lower control arm on all F/M/J bodies and on '73-later B bodies.
I disagree with that.
Take a look what a "B" body spindles looks like, and what an "F" body, Aspen & Volare spindle looks like in post #6.
I'm not that familiar what M or J body cars, spindles look like.
In appearance, they have differences, even though they all will work when doing disc brake change overs on older cars.

When I measure like Erhenbergs pic from the spindle centerline to the top, I get more like 4 3/4" to 5". That might just be me though. Man I wish the casting numbers were legible.

F/M/J cars have the same front suspension. they share control arms, radius rods, transverse torsion bars, bushings etc.

M/J cars would be Diplomats, Mirada, CMX... The last of the RWD Mopars of that era.

When I measure like Erhenbergs pic from the spindle centerline to the top, I get more like 4 3/4" to 5". That might just be me though. Man I wish the casting numbers were legible.
That's because yours are "taller" being 73 and up "B" body spindles.
Ehrenbergs picture is for 73-76 A body spindles, or 70-74 E body spindles, or 70-72 B body spindles.

That's because yours are "taller" being 73 and up "B" body spindles.
Ehrenbergs picture is for 73-76 A body spindles, or 70-74 E body spindles, or 70-72 B body spindles.

F/M/J spindles are also taller. IIRC, the article with those two spindles side by side, it says the F/M/J spindle is on the right

I disagree with that.
Take a look what a "B" body spindles looks like, and what an "F" body, Aspen & Volare spindle looks like in post #6.
I'm not that familiar what M or J body cars, spindles look like.
In appearance, they have differences, even though they all will work when doing disc brake change overs on older cars.
'73-4 or so B body spindles are the same as F/M/J spindles except that F/M/J are scalloped out between the caliper mounting holes on the spindle. I think they changed to the scalloped out style in '75. To put it another way, except for C body spindles, there are only 2 RWD car spindles for '73 and later. They are:
1. '73-later A and E spindle.
2. Everything else which includes '73-later B and all F/M/J. Coincidently, all have a rubber isolated K-frame

'73-4 or so B body spindles are the same as F/M/J spindles except that F/M/J are scalloped out between the caliper mounting holes on the spindle. I think they changed to the scalloped out style in '75. To put it another way, except for C body spindles, there are only 2 RWD car spindles for '73 and later. They are:
2. Everything else. '73-later B and all F/M/J
They are the same in dimensions, and machining spacing wise, but the ARE NOT THE SAME in appearance, between the body styles that are being discussed here.

2. Everything else which includes '73-later B and all F/M/J. Coincidently, all have a rubber isolated K-frame

They are the same in dimensions, and machining spacing wise, but the ARE NOT THE SAME in appearance, between the body styles that are being discussed here.

Yes, this.

‘73+ F/M/J/B/R spindles are the same dimensionally.

The B/R casting are different, but the dimensions are the same. The FMJ spindles are a little lighter.

The steering arms between the B/R bodies and the FMJ’s are NOT the same, just FYI. The lengths are actually different, so if you’re using those steering arms you need the B body ones.

Yes, this.

‘73+ F/M/J/B/R spindles are the same dimensionally.

The B/R casting are different, but the dimensions are the same. The FMJ spindles are a little lighter.

The steering arms between the B/R bodies and the FMJ’s are NOT the same, just FYI. The lengths are actually different, so if you’re using those steering arms you need the B body ones.
Thank you.
That's what i always was trying to get through, with that other guy, from the git go.

That helps a bunch, at least I know they will work. Thanks for all the detective work guys.:thankyou:

In the first picture, Aspen & Volare spindles are on the left, and A body, 73-76 spindles, on the right.

View attachment 1716100873

View attachment 1716100875

View attachment 1716100876

View attachment 1716100941
Hemi71x, I purchased some A body disc brake spindles a few years ago, I'm looking for another set would you happen to have any? Thanks

Hello Hemi-X I purchase some spindles from you a couple years ago. I'm looking for another set of late model a body spindles to use for my 68 Coronet. Would you happen to have anymore?

-
Back