Spindle Questions?

-

2 Darts

A-body Addicted
Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart 4-door /6 that is in the process of becoming a daily driver. The car was an abandoned father/son project that continues to disclose "features" I had not expected. The car currently has SBP wheels and drum brakes on each corner. In the future I plan to switch to disk brakes, but more immediately, I want to go to BBP wheels. Conversion of the rear is settled, but the front is still undecided. As was true with the Demon, the 4-door already has a disk brake master cylinder and proportioning valve.

1. I have been seeing disk brake spindles for A/B/E bodies? My understanding was the BBP A-body spindle is about a half inch shorter than the B/E spindle. True or False? Has anyone put a B/E spindle on a 67+ A-body? If I go this route, what should I look for?

2. Will a B/E/F/J/M drum brake and hub assembly work on the 73 Dart spindle? I know that I will have to get the backing plate if the drum is a different diameter from the ones currently on the car? What about if it is the same?

Your thoughts, comments, and wise (guy?) remarks are appreciated.:stop:

Found my answer over at /6. Since someone else may have the same question, I thought I'd post here

The spindle interchange is '65-'72 B body, '70-'74 E body and '73-'76 A body. These spindles are all the same height and will interchange. they need the larger upper ball joint. The '73 and later B bodies and all of the transverse T-bar, (F/J/M)RWD cars used the same spindle. They are taller then the earlier spindles, but will bolt in.

*Not part of original post.

72 demon---

i am workin on a 73 scamp and have the same question so your sayin i can bolt an B or E body spindle to my 73 a body for disc brakes ?????

Respective of the years mentioned, yes. I'm assuming that the spindles are already fitted for disk brakes. If not an adapter of some sort will be needed as well as the spindle.

Real quick question, would there be a problem if I took the spindles and discs from a 73' duster and put them on a 71' duster that has the SBP drums?

Should I start my own thread? :D

The 73+ spindles / rotors will fit all the A's back to 63 HOWEVER you must also use the 73+ UCA. The 72 and earlier use the small upper ball joint, the 73+ the larger. The disk spindles (slider type OR pin type) mate to the larger ball joint. LCAs are the same, they can stay. Rotors can be the 10.87 or 11.9" variety, as long as the proper caliper bracket is used. The earlier KH disk set up uses the small ball joint spindle.

Some aftermarket disk conversion use the stock small ball joint UCA, which is a weak point. For ease of installation and ecomony. Strip the brakes from a 73 and move them over. The 73+ disk will ALL be LBP, the KH will be SBP like the drums.

No problem running SBP in the rear, LBP in the front of the car. Hint: carry 2 spares. :toothy10:

-
Back