spindle

-

coreyg

Reaction score
So I ordered a wilwood front disc brake conversion kit for my 71 scamp. I was doing the install the other day and once I got my old drum brakes off I installed the plate that bolts to the old spindle. I built the disc hub assembly and slid it on, but it hit the spindle plate and it didnt leave me any room to install the spindle washer and bolt. So I called wilwood and gave them the kit number I ordered and the make and year of the car and he said that it is the right kit for the car. He asked if it had the original spindles but I dont know if it does. Can any tell me what my spindles are from.

the spindle is around 4" long

You order the right kit for a drum brake car? The kits for drum brake cars and factory disc cars are different from wilwood

Yes it is for a factory drum brakes.

Well for starters I can tell you that's not the correct bracket for your car.

Below are pictures of the wilwood instructions for your car. Note the caliber bracket
Where did you order the kit from?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-06-20-04-37.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_2016-04-06-20-04-43.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 207
Well for starters I can tell you that's not the correct bracket for your car.

Below are pictures of the wilwood instructions for your car. Note the caliber bracket
Where did you order the kit from?

What kit number is that? I got it from jegs on the advice of a wilwood representative. The kit number that I got is 140-11020

Does the scamp and the dart use the same spindle?

What kit number is that? I got it from jegs on the advice of a wilwood representative. The kit number that I got is 140-11020

That kit you have is for the b and e bodies.

The kit to u should have gotten was 140-11023 for 10 inch drums and 140-11022 for 9 inch drums. Per Wilwoods site

i did a ssbc kit on a 71 duster 10''drum spindle , it used a spacer on the spindle to get the rotor outboard at the inner bearing , still had enough to assemble the nut and washer and cotter pin although . are your spindles for a 9'' or 10'' drums , they are different from each other , along with the disc brake spindle being different also . and i thought wilwood offered up their own spindle as well . oh by the way ssbc kit fits and stops great and had duel patterns 4'' and 4 1/2'', but add to the width of the cars track . putting the tires closer to the fenders .

The kit to u should have gotten was 140-11023 for 10 inch drums and 140-11022 for 9 inch drums. Per Wilwoods site
See image

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-06-21-05-29.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 193

The tech at wilwood told me which one to buy and even on their website it says the one I bought fits the scamp. but the one you mentioned looks like its the right one.

The tech at wilwood told me which one to buy and even on their website it says the one I bought fits the scamp. but the one you mentioned looks like its the right one.

Then they have a scamp listed as a b body, which it isnt....

Go to wilwood.com, do a vehicle search for a 71 scamp and the only kits that cone up are the 11023 and the 11022

Yep...they have the scamp listed as a B body. It's not. B body spindels are much larger.

The kit you found was the one I was going to order at first, but after talking to the tech he gave me a list of everything I needed and all the part numbers. I hope jegs will take them back.

The kit you found was the one I was going to order at first, but after talking to the tech he gave me a list of everything I needed and all the part numbers. I hope jegs will take them back.

Good luck

wilwood is going to take the scamp off of the 140-11020 kit, them said they made a mistake.

wilwood is going to send me the parts I need for my kit.

wilwood is going to take the scamp off of the 140-11020 kit, them said they made a mistake.

wilwood is going to send me the parts I need for my kit.

Good, glad to hear. I knew that bracket didn't look right as i got to looking at it longer. Glad they are making it right for you

-
Back