Spindles - Did I mix them up?

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
65 Dart 10" drum brakes. Does anyone know if the tapped hole in the spindle should be at the front or rear? My sketch from when I disassembled it (year ago) show it at the front, so went by that.

Other info now suggest I swapped L & R. The TSM has no figures that make L & R clear. I could have already mixed them up when I made the sketch (unlikely) or perhaps a prior owner swapped them.

Reasons for thinking I swapped are that the stamped PN's on the spindles appear to be 2071648 (left) and 2071649 (right). Odd no.s should be left side on Mopars, so above seems wrong. However, the numbers are barely visible and the 8 could be 9 & 9 an 8. Also, 6's might be 5's. The brake backing plates have clear numbers 660 left and 661 right, which also seems swapped, but seem too short for PN's. They only fit the spindles one way. Finally, the upper arm of the spindle leans aft (as my sketch), but the upper ball joint is fwd of lower so leaning fwd seems like a better match.

If I did swap them, what is the result? I know one can swap disk brake spindles and people do so to orient calipers fwd or rear. I see two areas of concern. The steering arm will be higher up (think). After I assemble I will see if fits. The caster angle may change, since the wheel centerline may be in a different place, relative to the ball joints. This could be good if it increases caster (moves wheel back, will try to measure). Cars in bias ply days were designed with little (or negative) caster because the tires deflected and moved the contact patch aft while moving. Today's radial tires don't do so and if the contact patch is ahead of the pivot, the car tends to wander on the highway. The opposite of shopping cart wheels.

Has anyone purposely swapped L & R? If I did so inadvertenly am I better off now? I would hate to pop the ball joints out now.

65 Dart R suspension.jpg

Update.

I stared at it and finally decided the spindles fit better swapped from above, and that would move the wheel back slightly. About the only clue in the 65 Dart/Coronet TSM is Fig 11 in Ch. 2 which shows the backside of the right spindle (rotated away from LCA). Since the front lower hole shows no threads, the aft one must be the tapped one. Might also judge from the different "ears" at the holes, but hard w/o a perpendicular view.

Anyway, as I swapped them, I recalled a clue. I messed up the spindle threads when I removed the first one, and that was on the left side (PN 2071649). I didn't know the hole was threaded and beat the bolt out w/ a hammer since I assume it was rusted in. I don't recall a threaded hole on my 69 Dart (9" drums) or 65 Newport (11" drums). Since buggered, I just drilled out the threads and rely on the nut. My sketch was wrong or I can't interpret my notes, but the 2 screw-ups cancelled out. Need to work more carefully, so maybe a 2 yr project.

The upper ball joint came out easy, since just installed I put the nut at the end of the stud and hammered. A little risky since if you distort the threads too much you wind up with a nut on the stud you can't get off since the stud then spins freely. Been there long ago, and had to clamp the ball joint down to secure the stud. Once I ended up cutting off a tie rod end. Clean up the threads with a tap and die after so the nut spins freely.

-
Back