spitfire headers

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
My exhaust shop is having trouble running the exhaust from my spitfires, anyone have saved copies of DJVCudas under car shots from his spitfire header thread?

We are trying to figure out how to rout them around the torsion bars?

im not sure what every one is talking about,, sounds like DJV pics are gone ?? im sure they are posted over on BIG BLOCK DART .COM

Nope, they are gone there too.

Damn Things dump right over the torsion bars on either side! Looks like the shop is going to have to pull the headers, and angle cut them, and weld on a couple bends to get around them.

I will post some pics of what they did so others will be able to copy it, or Harold can tweek them again!

ive only seen them on one car,, but looked like the dumps were very short,,slide in your down pipe and weld it up,maybe he changed some thing not knowing

I'll be watching this one since I should be getting mine next week.

There are many reasons I decided to use the 273 Exhaust manifolds,
when I decided to build a 318 to replace the worn out 273.

# 1 reason, They Fit.

Here is a pic I have saved on my computer from an unknown source. I think at home I have more pics. I'll load them on later today.

spitfirehe.jpg

I have spitfires on my 63 dart and the dumps don't look anything like the previous pic. I believe they dump almost straight down. I had to have very short radiused 90's welded on the end and then went to a step down towards the transmission. It is really a PITA on the passenger side. There is probably only 1/4 - 3/8 clearance on either side at the torsion bar with the 2 1/2 pipes I'm running.

There are many reasons I decided to use the 273 Exhaust manifolds,
when I decided to build a 318 to replace the worn out 273.

# 1 reason, They Fit.

# 1 reason, They Fit.

#2 they don't flow as good as headers which means less horsepower

#3 they look crusty and rusty

We all know what we are getting into when we buy headers but we buy them for a reason. Better flow,more torque and horsepower, and in case of ceramic or chrome headers they look much better than manifolds. Now if the car is just something to drive instead of tire ripping, cammed, worked up motor then fine the stock manifolds are good because that's it the motor is stock.

this is the only pic I have on my work computer....

5-18-05_003.jpg

The dumps i had installed will make it different from your design...

The difficult part is making the transition from the header dump tube to exhaust pipe transition on the driver’s side, it took the muffler shop most of the morning just to fabricate that piece of the exhaust tube and getting it to transition properly. The good news is you don’t have to fight with a Z bar since your car is an automatic. I posted a picture of my driver side dump tube so you can see how the flange is oriented. Unfortunately I do not have a good picture of the transition around the torsion bar but it followed the same path as the stock exhaust manifold.

Also take a look at DJVCUDA’s transmission mount. You can see the stock mount is notched on one side for the stock (single) exhaust; it’s also a good idea to notch and box weld the other side for dual exhaust pipes.

It’s also going to be very difficult to replace the collector gasket on the driver’s side, so use the best ones available.

Good Luck

ZbarCollector.JPG

-
Back