SPLASH SHIELD INSTALLATION QUESTION

-

CFD244

"THE NEW OLDSMOBILES ARE IN EARLY THIS YEAR"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I bought this kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies and I have no idea where the headlight splash shields and the starter splash shield goes. There are a bunch of attaching holes in the headlight shield, but no corresponding holes in the fender. Car in question is a 1971 Demon. Pics would be awesome if you've got any:)

Thanks

IMG_1695.JPG

Thanks @Dana67Dart . That pic helps a lot and clears things up. My Demon does not have that gap, so I'm guessing that 1970-1972 Darts and Demons don't use it.

Thanks @Dana67Dart . That pic helps a lot and clears things up. My Demon does not have that gap, so I'm guessing that 1970-1972 Darts and Demons don't use it.
72 dart uses the same fender as your demon. I seam sealed that joint. I didn't see any evidence that it ever had the rubber piece.

#2 goes at the top of your inner fender splash shield where it meets the underside of the fender/innerfender
#3 goes along the fender edge of your inner splash shields
#4 is stapled onto the starter splash shield. It hangs below the DS frame rail. The rectangular opening is where your steering linkage travels through

#4 is stapled onto the starter splash shield. It hangs below the DS frame rail. The rectangular opening is where your steering linkage travels through
I don't think I have that shield. Are they necessary? Why are they for just auto transmissions?

I don't think I have that shield. Are they necessary? Why are they for just auto transmissions?
Unsure but it says "starter / auto shift linkage splash shield". maybe more for protection to the linkage than the starter?

My dad says they always threw shields like this away back in the day. My thought process is, if it was something the engineers thought was needed, best to use them. If they served no purpose, the bean counters would have shaved them to pinch pennies...

looks like this:
Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 11.22.08 PM.png

AAR_TA_fast_ratio_power_steering_spash_shield__45210.1543900625.jpg

From what I remember is back in the day when these cars were actually used year round including in the winter, slush from the road splashed up everywhere especially on the shifter linkage and could freeze in the cold Canadian winter. When you finally got to your destination put it in park it froze solid. Couldn't get it out of park when you returned. The splash shield help prevent this occurring.

Thanks for taking the time to respond folks, with pics and opinions.........Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

-
Back