spool for rearend

-

gipperco

Reaction score
I have a question that maybe someone can help me learn with their answer. I am building a 74 Dart for my wife that will be a bracket racer. It will start with a mildly built 318 with the ultimate goal of a high 11 low 12 car. I was planning on going with a 8 3/4 rear 410 posi gears. I was told that I should consider a spool type rearend. that it would be cheaper and work better for racing. I know nothing about them. How does it work? I have a 323 one wheel wonder third member that I took out of my E-Body. I was told that I can use the housing from that with the spool is that the case?

A spool is nothing more than a one piece carrier that your ring gear bolts to that is splined on both ends for the the axles. No moving parts. For strictly a race car it is the ticket. Just make sure when you buy it that you get the right axle spline count for your axles, or now would be the time to upgrade to 35 spline axles and use the matching spool. Yes it will work in your case with the proper carrier bearings.

spools are only good for going straight.they flat suck.to drive on the highway.i have a spool in my 73 duster.and it tries to push the car forward instead of turning.you can turn.but not very well.if u plan on doing any street driving.i would consider a good clutch posi or a locker.i have a really good clutch posi in my 74 duster and my truck.they are the way to go. i have even considered taking the spool out of my drag car for a good posi.so maybe i could cruise it a couple of times

As 74360Duster said, On the street the spool will give you a bad case of under steer or push. I run a spool in my car with an 8.75 and 4:10's. It took some getting used to on the street but it is not to bad now that I'm used to it. Would I recommend for the street? No!! My car is not a daily driver. I have only put about 300 miles on it in 2 months and 150 of that was a trip to a car show.

Jack

If you put a spool in you will have to change to "green bearings", a spool does not have a center pin that you can adjust axle bearing pre-load with stock tapered bearings.

Chuck

Well since this car is being built for the track and track only maybe sounds like a spool is the best way to go. Thank you everyone for the information.

Best of all, a spool is much lighter than a normal carrier, so you'll run a bit faster:D

I agree, they suck to drive on the street and can be dangerous. I attempted to drive with one in the Chicago winter. Icy, crowned streets and a locker don't mix:eek:

-
Back