spool on the street?

-

CanadianGT

Reaction score
So I'm building my dart mainly for road course racing but it will see a couple days a week of driving around. Moser offers a nice kit for my rear dana(I'll need new axles etc for my Dana) and it comes with bearings, spool, axles, studs and up to 35 spline axles. It's only 630 bucks USD which isn't to bad. I know a spool isn't preferable on the street but I'm thinking it should be alright for how I'll use the car. Anyone with experience able to give me some suggestions?

I drove a 61 chevy truck for a couple of years with a spool in the back. It was a handful to drive and the tires would squeal around slow corners. I would look at a detroit locker or a limited slip.

I drove a 61 chevy truck for a couple of years with a spool in the back. It was a handful to drive and the tires would squeal around slow corners. I would look at a detroit locker or a limited slip.

How so a handful? like just hard to turn or?

How so a handful? like just hard to turn or?

It always pulled to the right and was hard to turn (I would bet your car would push like crazy going into a corner. I have also heard that they are hard on axles on the street.

I had a spool in my (sorry guys, I went mental a few of summers ago) , burp, 72 Camaro. It was HAIRY but FUN.

Spools are made for one thing /straight line drag racing even a detroit locker will drag a wheel when making even a slight turn something has to give meaning one wheel has to rotate faster than the other in order to turn a corner the hide will get drug right off the tire not a good idea for street use

I'll second the motion. I had one in my old '67 XL. Not fun on the street at all. This car would actually hop around corners as well as make all kinds of noises.

Spools are made for one thing /straight line drag racing even a detroit locker will drag a wheel when making even a slight turn something has to give meaning one wheel has to rotate faster than the other in order to turn a corner the hide will get drug right off the tire not a good idea for street use

I am just saying that a detroit locker would be better that running a spool. At least the locker will dissengage around corners and give you a locked diff in a straight line. I plan or running one in my 440 dart with (don't cry) ford 9" rear.

A spool is probably not a good choice for street. I know guys that run them, but their cars are pro street with big fat squishy tires. I'd stick with a locker or a good Dana clutch type rear. JMO

We use spools at our local circle track so I figured they couldn't be that bad for turning but I'll start looking for a limited slip.

-
Back