Spot Weld Cutters

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
All right.....who makes a good spot weld cutter? I just bought one yesterday from my supply store that was supposed to be the bee's knees. The very f'ing first weld I tried to drill through broke the tip. That sure was worth the $25. So I grabbed the cheap one I had in my tool box and almost got all of the welds cut through on the panel I was working on when it denuded the cutter. This of course happened just before all the local auto parts stores closed. Grrrr

I use a Blair Spotweld Cutter. The best way to keep it from breaking is to keep it flat on the metal your cutting,and use oil. I also drill a small indentation in the spotweld, or center punch it to keep the cutter centered when cutting. I usually get between 150-300 cuts before they break or get dull.

I use a Blair Spotweld Cutter. The best way to keep it from breaking is to keep it flat on the metal your cutting,and use oil. I also drill a small indentation in the spotweld, or center punch it to keep the cutter centered when cutting. I usually get between 150-300 cuts before they break or get dull.

Yup, what he said.

Go slow.
Stay level.
Use a cutting oil.
Center punch the spot weld.

If you try to go fast you will only go through spotweld cutters fast.

Blair makes the tool called Rotabroach, and that's the only tool you should be using.

Thanks for all the tips, guys :prayer:. I was center punching all the spot welds, using low drill speed and trying to keep the cutter on plane with the metal. Unfortunately the lip where some of the welds were located was bent and couldn't easily keep the cutter teeth flat against the steel. I am taking the next week off work to replace these panels so I might just have to get a fist full of the cheaper variety until I can get a good one. I don't want to be sitting and waiting for the mailman, ya know ](*,)!! L8r

Jim

Generous thread cutting oil to keep the tool cool.

I started with a blair and finished with a harbor freight one i bought 6 of them for 2 buck each and just used one has more teeth so it drills smoother... i was removing a 1/4

-
Back