Spot welders

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
Where have all the spot welders gone? When I was in high school, every shop classroom had a classic portable spot welder. Now?

It's all the Harbor Fright Hobart knockoff garbage. Is this just something nobody does any more? I've seen the Eastwood Mig spotwelding kit, but I just want regular old spot welds....

Miller still makes them, I have one with the Dayton name tag on it

I own a welding shop for 25 years now.
I have a Miller LMSW -52 air cooled 220vac/1ph/60hz spot welder I bought about 2 years ago.
Spots up to 1/4" (2@1/8" steel sheet)
Typically they are extremely heavy and hard to use it just " free styling."
Expensive - Mine was like $1800 with the 16" tongs.
Harbor freight is nice but cheaply made.
My Miller had issues from the get go (control switch stuck ruining a clients part)
I should had gone Harbor Freight for how little I use it.
Joe

I picked up a barely used vintage spot welder on ebay for less than $100. Its either a lincoln or miller, cant remember. Those china knock offs are not too bad in quality, have used those too. However, you can find a good used USA made one for about the same price as the knock off.
I also have a Lenco Spot and a ton of attachments for it. Much more versatile than the small spot welders.
https://www.amazon.com/Lenco-Autobo...t=&hvlocphy=9007666&hvtargid=pla-591985924514

I used to have a Lenco spot welder never used it so I sold it. Then when I needed one I bought this Dayton/Miller and I worked out for me. The Lenco is a very nice tool.

I have 2 used Lenco spot welders. I found each for around 100 bucks used. They do alot more than just spot. One attachment will weld washers on to use for pulling panels out and even attachments for sud welding to use stud dent pullers.

$100 is a great deal for that lenco. I think I paid $1200 for mine new. I have a bunch of attachments for it too. The wiggle wire is great for pulling dents. Its especially good on creases.

Sheetmetal mig spot welded. I know it takes time but no warping and easy finish.
Dont think I ever welded sheetmetal continuos weld. Maybe Im stupid.

I have a miller that is very old and still works great. Just used it to put new rocker panels on my truck.

-
Back