Spray can paint trick

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Just talked to a auto paint shop about the very thin MP Hemi Orange engine paint in a can. I commented on the very thin coverage and he suggested to me to heat 3 inches of water in a coffee can on the stove to about 180. Take it off, put the spray can in the hot water and let it sit for about 3 minutes so it heats the contents inside. Now when you spray it, itll come out almost dry when it hits and coverage will be much better. Have yet to try this but he knows more about it than I do. I think he said it helps seperate the paint from the carrier but he kinda mumbled that.

Years ago I worked for a joint that sold Plastikote brand. A friend of mine tore down a Honda twin (350?) cleaned it up and painted the whole thing with a rattle can. I just could not believe how great it looked. He heated that paint similar to what you describe.

I have heard of that trick, but never tried it. Im in the middle of cleaning up my sway bar, so I will try it on that!

I would think that heating the paint would change the viscosity of the paint, maybe allowing it to atomize better when sprayed... be careful though... I left a can of rattle can paint on the defrost vents in my work truck before ( I use marking paint for survey work) and the dash board was bright orange until I got a new truck :)

I will try this on my reproduction kick panels, they are tan and I need to spray them red.

I heat all my single stage paints (acrylic enamel) on a hot plate before sraying thru a convention gun.
Just sit the mixed cup on a hot plate set at 120 degrees.
The way the paint will lay is the difference between night and day.
An old timer showed me this trick 25 years ago.

I learned this trick from a friend.

Get one of those propane bottle torches with the push button ignitor and heat the bottom of the paint can with it for 3 seconds........take flame off....shake.......on for three more seconds......shake can.......three more seconds....keep repeating this until you feel the paint in the can feel warm.

It is also a good idea to quickly dance the flame over the part you are painting (if metal) duh....and that will take the grease from your fingerprints and other oils off the metal and will open the pores.
Make sure the metal is warm, not super hot and the warm paint should cover very well on your grease free part.

I usually do this with primer applications, then just heat the paint with a torch and not the primered piece.

Just don't leave the flame on the bottom of the paint can too long or it could explode if you're stupid about it.

Another trick with rattlecan paint. If you want a light texture on the finished project,after painting the surface, put the spray nozzle from something like WD40 on the paint can along with the straw and when the paint is almost dry mist on a dry coat. if you spray to heavy or to close it will try to level and probably run, if you spray to far away it wont stick well and will look very dry, if you do it right you can make it look like some good quality cast metal if you are using "semi flat aluminum" paint

Kinda makes you wonder why the warnings on the label say "Don't heat or store above 120F" or something to that affect. Must just be The Man trying to keep us down.

I have a round piece of black plastic that I'm pretty sure came out of a steering column. It fits snug around a paint can. I put it in a window and let the sun heat it up. Placed on the dash of the parts car works good too.

Another trick with rattlecan paint. If you want a light texture on the finished project,after painting the surface, put the spray nozzle from something like WD40 on the paint can along with the straw and when the paint is almost dry mist on a dry coat. if you spray to heavy or to close it will try to level and probably run, if you spray to far away it wont stick well and will look very dry, if you do it right you can make it look like some good quality cast metal if you are using "semi flat aluminum" paint

You can get the same result by using aluminum color paint and then coat with clear before it dries. It will take all the shine out of the AL paint and make it look like casted steel or AL...If you want it glossy use gloss clear. IF you want it suede then use satin clear.

First pic is the WS motor with clear sprayed over the AL. Second is AL only sprayed over black...you have to look through the parking lens to see the AL.

You can see the difference in the finished colors.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4003w.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 879
  • 100_4012w.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 892
Try a heineken mini keg...one of those small kegs of beer. They have some sort of propellant in a small can inside the big can. These are like 1/2 sticks of dynamite. Toss them in the fire....Stay back...when they go the rocket through the air with the velocity of a bullet.

Great danger.....great fun:angry4:

Or just throw a can in the bonfire for added effect. lol
Yes sir
we used to have a piece of 4 inch heavy pipe that we would set in the fire,pointed up and fire the cans off.Thanks for reminding me of those days of crazy stupid things I used to do.

Heating the paint can up in water works great, by using water it is much harder to overheat the can. I learned this from a guy that makes models. I think this makes the paint thinner but it also raises the pressure in the can so it sprays out much better. I always use a new nozzle too.

I wonder if heating the paint can would salvage one that won't spray any more. We have this problem often in the cold winters of Michigan...ruins the spray cans for the summer.

I use that trick all the time. I just get the water as hot as gets from the faucet, then fill up a container that you submerge most of the paint can in and let it sits for 10 min or so. Really works good when painting in a cold garage during the winter. It atomizes the paint, and I too learned it from model car building.

Hey
if you can find a carb cleaner spray can with same spray tip as paint your shooting & trade carb cleaner tip to your paint it will empty a spray paint can in about a minute !
Seriously we used this trick to prime an old chevy back in the day & worked great !
shot whole car at least 10 times faster & lot better coverage than with weak *** regular spray can tip !
I keep extra carb cleaner tips in drawer in toolbox for spray larger items !
Hope this helps ?
PS .. heat helps BUT will never dump paint like carb cleaner spray tip trick .. Try it !!

-
Back